icon

what happened to roadshop?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 24, 2007 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

I got hired many years ago, and the process was much harder.  They played games with me for a few weeks.  Go talk to this manager here, go talk to this guy there.  One time I showed up to interview (5 minutes early of course) and the manager had me wait for 15 mintues then sent me home because he didn't have time to talk to me.

Then, one of the managers asked me if I had any work done to my car so I popped my trunk.  He was impressed and I finally got a job offer.

However, before they offered me the job they made sure I knew that I had approximately 6 weeks to have a full set of tools.

Kevin Pierson
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2007 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
I am still under the belief that CC and Best Buys will be out of the car audio business in 5 years or less. You can hire all the Mobile Dynamics trained kids you want, but they don't know the cars. Mistakes will be made, repairs will be paid for. Margins will disappear. Corporate will pull the plug. Kevin Pierson, don't take this personally, I've been reading your posts, you know your stuff.
There is no such thing as free installation!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 25, 2007 at 5:34 AM / IP Logged  

They will still maintain a high profit margin though with their purchase power.

I remember a few years back we were selling DEI remote starts (552T I believe) for cheaper then one local shop could purchase them from DEI.  That makes it very hard for small shops to compete.

For the record, I completely disagree with the way Circuit City runs their business.  I don't agree with letting the experianced people go so they can save labor dollars.  If anything, in the long run this will be their downfall.

Kevin Pierson
smoothdesignz 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2007 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
I played the corporate game with Jerk-it for almost 3 years. One thing I can say is that I went through a lot of cars in those 3 years, anything from a rusted-out Festiva to a brand new 7 series BMW. Granted, never even thought about doing custom work, and if there was anything wrong with the car, we were told to leave it alone. I work for a small company now, and it really is so much nicer to have a family feel compared to the corporate engine driving down your back. Losing the Roadshop name and all the changes they put in place with the management structure just kind of did it in for me. An installer really has no where to go when trying to move up the ladder, unless you wanted to do computers, sales, and customer service along with installing. Not my cup of tea.
95 Mazda 626
Pioneer DEH-P960MP
DEI Stilleto
Boston Acoustic SL60 Front
Boston Acoustic S85 Rear
Alpine V12 MRV-F407
Alpine V12 MRV-T757
2 Rockford Fosgate P2D412
Python 990 Alarm/RemStart
d1mebag 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2007 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
I work at the "foredog car" in FLint...We most certainly do NOT call it the that! No one has any association with the name. And tcss's comment about not having a CC car stereos...We won't have a CC car stereo because there won't be a CC! Anyone look at our stocks??? Sweet moves, Corporate office!
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2007 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
It's sad. I worked at the CC Fresno store at the peak of it's life. We were #1 or #2 in the company battling with the Hawaii store. And till this day I still have pride in the job we did and the crew we had. What erks me is these entry level positions have the capability to shape the careers of people who are new to the industry. And it sucks that corporate doesn't care about that.
The other thing that I have a problem with is that CC, BB. have alot of marketing power. If they promoted the 12v industry like they did before, just imagine how the intrest in car electronics would effect all our business.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
cwwlv 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2007 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

I ran the #1 rs garage (assit S&I)in district till a couple months ago, with the firing of the top paided people in may, the firing of most s&i s in the nation the idiots at corp started the demise of the roadshop. when i was promoted??( take postion or quit) to isup i had to not only run my garage but the sales floor also and do open close procedures, mod, floor manger, 288 and everthing else the sales mng had to do. i saw numbers start to drop then thay slashed hours no OT no cust service.have seen the numbers since i left and have talked to people still there they cant even hit 75% budget because there are NO customers in the store anymore, CC and RS are going down the hill on the way to hell

joker2 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2007 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Man to do I have to agree with you guys about CC making the wrong moves. We have a good team as far as installers go with taking  pride in each and every individual install we do. What's screwing us up the most is this new ISCE sales floor tactics that they have going on. You can't have just anyone sell car audio unless there into it or passionate about it.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
i also agree 100%. I am currently the install supervisor at the Albany, NY store, and our amount of customers has definately taken a huge fall. In my heart it will always be roadshop.. lol. I take pride in my work, and I am just hoping that we stick around for a little longer til I can get some money together to open up my own stereo shop (we'll see how that goes). But the corporate offices are definately making some really bad decisions.
Just my .02
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic