which eclipse deck?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2007 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

IMO high pre-out voltage isn't an important feature.  The claimed benifits are only applicable in poorly installed systems that are susceptible to noise.  And all it does is cause confusion for those who don't know how to set gains properly, causing increased distortion and possibly damage to equipment.  Have you ever noticed how there isn't a gain control on your home receiver when you hook up a DVD player?  That's because all the voltages are standardized.  The results are fewer problems and surprisingly no noise issues.

What do you personally look for in a hu then? I've got a cd8443 and I wouldn't trade it for the world, it's been and still is a wonderful unit... still trying to learn how to use it.. hahaha

...don't crush the weasel...
smgreen20 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2007 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

It's a typo. Even though on page 18 it displays the 5V and 8V above the HU and in the descriptions below the HU. In person, look at the HUs. It's silk screened right on the face plate of the HU. The 7000 is 8V and the 5000 is 5V.

If you're in the boat I'm in, then you'll need the 8V. I run a Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 and a ZPA0.5 which require an 8V signal for optimum performance. That's why I got the CD8455.

You'll want to look at the impeadance of the RCA outs on the HU. That's where the secret lies. The lower the better.

smgreen20 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2007 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
My bad. As I look closer at the HU on pg 18 I can barely see the 8V on the 5000. Maybe it's the 7100 that is 8V. I just wanted to correct my statement.
ya boy mike 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2007 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah the 7100 has 8V while the 7000 had 5V
It Hz
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 26, 2007 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
tubbs04 wrote:
Steven Kephart wrote:

IMO high pre-out voltage isn't an important feature.  The claimed benifits are only applicable in poorly installed systems that are susceptible to noise.  And all it does is cause confusion for those who don't know how to set gains properly, causing increased distortion and possibly damage to equipment.  Have you ever noticed how there isn't a gain control on your home receiver when you hook up a DVD player?  That's because all the voltages are standardized.  The results are fewer problems and surprisingly no noise issues.

What do you personally look for in a hu then? I've got a cd8443 and I wouldn't trade it for the world, it's been and still is a wonderful unit... still trying to learn how to use it.. hahaha

Brand reputation

Subwoofer output with volume control

I despise the sound of  the head units amplifiers, so one with no built in amplification is a plus

Low output impedance and a good set of DAC's

Ergonomic controls.  I prefer Eclipse's old dual knob design over the new joystick style.  I really like the old thumber remote on my Sony deck.  I can control my stereo by touch.

Features I will use regularly.  I like the idea of a built in hard drive and would like to see it on more decks.  Or I would like to see more companies get into an add-on hard drive setup.  I really like the USB inputs on newer decks to use thumb drives or give the option of adding an outboard computer hard drive.  I also like built in bluetooth.   

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic