03 chevy impala 9c1 starter bypass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davids604 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

Hey,

To start off, I've never really worked on car electronics before, but thanks to 12volt and all the information/help users have provided, I just successfully installed my alarm/remote start system on the weekend.  It took a long 2 days, but I got it done and it works!  All thanks to 12volt and the excellent members!

So by the subject line, my starter bypass has been installed, but doesn't work in stopping the car from starting up.  By the wiring info, the yellow ignition cable is the start cable right?  I've cut and run it through 30 and 87a of a spdt relay, when the alarm is active it activates the relay and cuts the wire leaving the ignition, but when I stick in the key and start, it still starts up the engine.  I tried unplugging the wires from the relay and it still starts, so without the yellow wiring being powered by the key, the engine still starts, which is not suposed to be happening, I'm confused and have no clue why it's doing that. 

Maybe it's because the passlock 2 wires are getting the correct signal to start, so even though the yellow wire isn't getting a voltage it's starting up the engine automatically?  That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

In addition: The wiring information says that the parking lights can be activated by ground, at the white wire in the 24-pin pink plug at the BCM, but I found 3 white wires there.  What's the best way to determine which of these 3 it is? 

Thanks!

David.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

a starter bypass only pretends that your keys are present during remote start. If you want to prevent you car from being started when the alarm is active, you need a starter kill. you should cut your starter wire not ignition. this is how i have always wired my starter kills. It works because i have tried it. but if anyone has abetter method or a i have made a mistake please correct me.

1) Cut starter wire in half, leave some wire to work with.

2) Connect  (-) when armed from RS to relay Terminal 85
3) Connect Starter wire (MOTOR SIDE) AND Remote Start WIRE together. Wire to relay Terminal 87a
4) Connect Starter Key Side (ignition cylinder) wire to relay Terminal 30
5) Connect Jumper Cable from relay Terminal 86 to relay Terminal 30
6) Place Diode across relay Terminal 85 and 86 (diode with white Line to Terminal 85)

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

forgot to mention. to test if the relay is doing its job. Connect the wire from terminal 85 to ground and see if u can start with a key. if you cant you wired it right because if the alarm is active, the relay prevents the car from being started.

davids604 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply.

Ya, I think I made the relay you're talking about, with the quenching diode, etc. 

I connected the RS start wire to the motor side, and cut the wire so it bypasses the relay at 87a to 30, with 30 connected to the ignition cylinder side, but the car still starts.

If I unplug the wires from the relay, it shouldn't start as well, correct?  It still starts....  I may be cutting the wrong wire, is it the yellow at the ignition cylinder?  I measured it's behavoir and it's +12VDC only when cranking, so I think I've got the right one.  Really weird right?

I also measured the engine side of the starter cable(yellow), and it measured a low voltage, around 3VDC. Maybe it's getting voltage from the RS?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic