icon

horn and lights constantly on w/ bulldog

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
y22kc 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
I recently purchased a 95 mustang GT that has power doorlocks, but did not have keyless entry. Not wanting to spend too much on a cheap car, I bought the Bulldog deluxe 200b with remote start. I hooked it all up without much of a problem, and it has been working for 3 days.
This morning, I crank the car and within 30 seconds, the horn goes off like I was holding the horn button down. I disconnected the battery to shut it up. I disconnected the horn wire from the alarm, then noticed the parking lights were on once I connected the battery. I checked all the wiring, and it appears to be fine. Anyone else had this problem? No relay was mentioned in the manual as a requirement for the horn, but maybe it was and fried the unit?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  

This unit isn't worth a darn. You time is worth so much more! I would save some of it (your time) and install a better unit. Your cars not that "cheap"

Please..... this is just my opinion

monkies 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
That was a common problem with that unit. The solution is to drive the horn with a relay, but the unit will need to repaired first. There is a chip (ULN 2003) that will need to be replaced. Good luck getting it repaired through the manufacturer their repair turn around time is usually several months (even though they will tell you 2-3 weeks) and cost you around $30. Since JBS went out of business in March 2007, it is now being "supported" by a hideously understaffed fly by night company. So I would also suggest getting something else and stay away from the Bulldog Security, Alert, and Carroll Shelby junk they sell.
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
Get an ultrastarter 1270TL .. those are bulletproof for close range r/s and doorlocks (less than 1/4 mile range) .. about $50-60 depending on where you acquire it
The search function is your friend.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2008 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
Bulldogs stink, unreliable, poor quality components and not install friendly. I prefer omega over them any day. Even Audiovox Prestige are OK for the money. I install DEI all the time and they are decent but a tad over priced. They work well and have very little problems when installed properly. I hear that compustar and scytek are good but never worked with them.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic