ignition on/off, starter with 1 p/b sw?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
apqo1 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 4:41 AM / IP Logged  

Hi guys,

First post from a new member.  Looks like there's a lot of great expertise on this site.  I'm tearing my hair out on this one, so I hope someone can help!

I'm wiring a custom street-rod and trying to work out a keyless switching setup for the ignition, but I can't figure out how to make it work.

Here's the easy part:  A small (~1/8" dia.) hole is hidden somewhere convenient to the driver, into which a cylindrical magnet is inserted.  This closes a magnetic reed switch, which powers an accessory bus through a relay.  Basically, the magnet replaces the key.  The ignition switching circuit will be powered from the accessory bus, so without the magnet, the car won't start.

Here's what I need help with:  For the ignition, I want a circuit controlled by a single momentary pushbutton switch, working one of two ways:

Preferred:  First push/release of the switch latches the ignition ON.  Second push engages the starter until the switch is released (ignition stays latched ON).  Third push/release unlatches the ignition, killing the engine.

Acceptable:  First push of the switch latches the ignition ON, then engages the starter until the pushbutton is released.  Second push/release unlatches the ignition, killing the engine.

I know this sounds a little nutty, but I don't like any of the keyed ignition switches I've been able to find, and I want a smooth "minimalist" appearance on the dash.

Thanks!

-Eric

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

Check out this thread - it isn't exactly what you are looking for but it takes a look at what it takes to build a smart system that could be adapted to do what you want to do.

The simple answer is that there is no easy way.  You could most likely do it all with relays, but you'll need some specialized relays and it would most likely be pretty expensive.

You could do it with basic digital circuitry and get it to work.

Or you could go with a 'smart' processor controlled system.

If you want to keep it simple, you may want to consider the magnet for your security (keep it hidden) and then to a toggle switch for the ignition, and the push button for the start.  I would then do a hidden keyswitch that would help prevent someone starting it while not defacing the look of the interior.

Kevin Pierson
barkster 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
I've seen this before, I guy used to make these here in my town. They were pretty cool. You wave a magnet over a certain place in the car and you had like 10 secs to start it. The link you mention I cannot see, I'd love to see the thread on how to make on these or Eric, how you did it. Thanks
KPierson 
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
barkster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah the one I saw was quite simpler. It was a magnetic hall affect switch of some sort that when the magnet was near it tripped a relay that was tied to the ignition switch allowing it to start. It was about a 1/4" cylinder you placed somewhere in the car that was activated by a magnet. This was 10 years ago but he was selling them for $30-40. I should have bought one then.
apqo1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

$30-40 seems excessive.  You should be able to find a magnetic reed switch for less than $5.  What I'm trying to do is a little more complicated.

I want the reed switch to turn on the accessories through a relay, and give permission for the ignition circuit to operate.  The pushbutton turns on the ignition, then starts the engine, then shuts it down (with each successive push).

I ordered some parts last night to see if I can make it work with relays based on a schematic I found elsewhere on this forum, but I've got my doubts.  I have a feeling it's going to take a logic circuit, which is above my head.

If I can make the relays work I'll post details here, but don't hold your breath...

-Eric

barkster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
Do you have a link to the magnetic reed switch you talk about, I searched last night and all I found were things that looked like large resisters. I just want something to kill the ignition with a secret spot to wave the magnet to start it.
KPierson 
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

$30-40 isn't that bad, if it included the timing relay.  Timing relays, especially 10 years ago, arn't exactly cheap.  The DEI timing switch is aroudn $20 from what I've seen all by itself.  Throw a few more components on top and mark up a bit to make a profit and $30-40 seems fair to me.

Keep in mind, that seems like a very basic system that doesn't allow for many options.

Kevin Pierson
barkster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
yes this was a complete system ready to install. It had a bunch of wires and some relays, there may have been more to it I just knew the basics of how it worked. It was cool, anyone have links to the parts you mention, magnetic reed switch and DEI timing switch??
apqo1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  

Here are a few links for magnetic reed switches at several electronics suppliers:

All Electronics

Jameco Electronics

Allied Electronics

Digi-Key

Mouser Electronics

-Eric

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic