icon

ignition on/off, starter with 1 p/b sw?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
barkster 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
Cool, I didn't know they were the alarm magnetic latches. I have a ton of the cylindrical ones. Thanks for the links. Now I just need to figure out how to wire it all up.
apqo1 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  

Wiring a magnetic switch is just like any other SPST switch.  Just two wires.  Either you switch +12V or you switch ground, depending on what you're trying to do.  Be careful using switches intended for home alarms -- many of them are normally closed.  You'll probably need normally open.  Just test them with a multimeter to be sure.

-Eric

barkster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
I'll check thanks, just ordered my dei switch
apqo1 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

Kevin,

You were right -- the relay circuit diagram you looked at didn't work.  It came close, but not quite.  With 12V applied, before any button pushes, there was 3.2V at the ignition output (!?!?).  One button push did give 12V at the ignition, latched on.  Second button push grounded the starter output while the button was held, and the ignition stayed latched.  Third button push turned off the ignition, but the relays didn't completely unlatch/reset.  Further button pushes did nothing until 12V was removed, resetting everything.

I think your solution using a PLC is about the only way this is gonna work.  I guess I need to go to school!

Anyway, thanks for the assist.

-Eric

barkster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
ok, got my dei timer but I'm not quite sure how to wire it. I've started a new thread on building this device
DEI Timer Ignition Circuit
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
i have an idea that will probably take care of what you need and actually have no external switches.  i will draw it up and upload it tomorrow for you or if you want to post your email address i can send it to you directly.
"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
i drew it up already but the file is too large to upload here.  gimme your email and i'll mail it to you
"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
barkster 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2008 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
I think you already sent it to me. I got a diagram from someone which worked perfectly, thanks
tweak master 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2008 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
I would use the reeed switch to trigger a relay that energizes the ignition . That way, the ignition turns on/off when the magnet is inserted/removed and use the push button switch to trigger another relay to engage the starter. DEI has a pretty cool latching relay/pulse timer that turns a relay on and off with multiple inputs on the same wire. I'll check tomorrow and see if I can come up with a way to make it work and i'll get back to you.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic