icon

extreme wattage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
i'm wondering about a h.o. alternator. my friend has a 93 buick la sabre. its bad ass. he's going to be pushing one hcca orion 15 and he might add one later. we've looked around but we don't know which one. he's looking at a 250 amp. will that be enough?
also i was wondering for me about the new titanium eclipse pros. i was looking at a 15". anyone know where i can get these besides wooferetc.com? oh and the buick will have 3000 watts rms to it...thanks
oh and any other spl 15" subs around that eclipses price range you want to suggest would be appreciated..
bybye
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
First of all... WHAT?
Secondly, do the math. All I can do is help with the ONE actual number you provided. Speakers dont mean anything...
Assuming a digital or Class D amplifier:
3000/.8=3750 watts IN
3750/14.4=260.4166666666666666667 Amps
Class A/B
3000/.5=6000 watts IN
6000/14.4=416.6666666666666666667 Amps
So, no, a 250A alternator won't TECHNICALLY be enough, and won't ACTUALLY be enough if you are planning on running wide open all the time. I have 2200WRMS on tap in my trunk, but I only have a 200A alternator in my car. I also have a current meter in my dash, so I can see exactly how much current I am using at any given time, and I rarely even use 100A, but I never have opened it up all the way - I like my hearing, and my speakers cost me WAY too much.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
... and woofersetc is NOT a good place to buy gear, period.  Go to your local authorized dealers.
Support the12volt.com
camween 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
if the WHAT is because thats alot of wattage i didn't think it was that bad...i've seen alot of cars with more than that (on the internet)
and i live in an extremely rural town where there are not many shops who sell "good" gear. mostly just shops that will hook it up.
so you are saying a 250 amp alternator will not cut it technically? its a class d 3000 watt rms mtx amp pushing an orion hcca 15. so i would need at least a 260 is what your saying. i'll be buying most of the gear from online and sonicelectrnix.com
do you have any suggested sites for purchasing alternators or audio equipment? and is this thing going to cost over $500? I want to help him hook it up right because our last install didn't go so smooth.
thanks alot and sorry if you guys get this alot.
i will have 1 cube of tofu.
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
sorry that was me on my friends account :) (above)(camween)
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
No, the "WHAT" was because I hardly understood what you were typing. Some punctuation, like commas every once in a great while, goes a LONG way to helping us understand your posts.
OK, the 250A alternator is ONLY for the amplifier... Add about 70 to 100A for accessories - like lights, the engine, fans, rear window defroster, A/C compressor...
The alternator alone is going to have to be at least a 300A toy, if you want to have enough, and it'll be 500 bucks for a crappy one..
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
well balls.
sorry about the misunderstanding i'll read over my posts before i post them.
what about dual alternators? dual batteries? could this be any cheaper?
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
also...if you look at a lot of specs....most 1 ohm stable class d amps' efficiency drops down to 60%-70% at 1 ohm. But are rated for around 80% efficiency at 4 ohms.
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
thats great news.
haemphyst 
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
mcben789 wrote:
thats great news.
That's sarcastic, right? Because if it ISN'T, you are going to be surprised, when you are told that you are going to need even MORE current than we've already discussed.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic