icon

the big 3 without a high output alt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
may03lt 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Some people on another forum are being misguided as far as the big 3 goes, maybe even myselfthe big 3 without a high output alt -- posted image.

I don't believe there would be a benefit (i.e voltage drop or dimming lights fix) to doing the big 3 without upgrading the alt.

What do you guys think?

2003 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy SLT
fakepete 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
The factory wiring is usually not that great. Any system can benefit from the big 3 even with a stock alt.
splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
yes big 3 on stock alt. these dayz lot of trucks come with a 130+ amp alt with only 6g wiring...
may03lt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

Quite a few Envoy and Trailblazer owners complain about dimming lights and voltage gauge drops after installing audio systems. My cluster dims a little with just my mids and highs on. I am saving the money up to do the alt-batt-big 3 in a one shot deal.

I did the big 3 in my last ride and I did notice a difference in the ouput of the audio system, but the lights still dimmed and the gauge still dropped. I do believe that there is a benefit to the big 3 from the audio standpoint, but Im skeptical that as a stand alone solution, the big 3 will not fix the dimming lights or gauge drops that plague the gmt 360/370 platforms.

2003 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy SLT
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
Nobody ever claimed (here at least) that the Big 3 by itself will "fix dimming lights."  In some cases it can probably help, and in all cases it will improve the performance of your electrical system.  But if your audio system is overloading your alternator, the only thing that will permanently fix that is to install a higher output alternator.
Support the12volt.com
may03lt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks DYohn......thats what I was looking forthe big 3 without a high output alt -- posted image.

2003 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy SLT
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
My lights used to dim when I would just turn my fan on high...the voltage would drop but NOT recover.
After the big three the voltage drops but recovers back very quickly.
My voltage used to drop and not recover with a 500 watt amp
now it barely dims and the voltage jumps back quickly
mrarff 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
Always be sure, ground anything that DOESN'T move(lol)even without aftermarket audio, vechiles do much better with the upgrade. Alls you need is to get the appropriate length battery calbe from the local parts house, and dig in.
evileagletalon 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
I think it is much more involving then just throwing in a bunch of larger gauge power and ground wires and calling it a day.
Most people don't take into consideration that different parts of the car will have different resistances. If you choose a ground point for your amplifier that has a pretty high resistance, the amplifier has to work harder to complete the circuit. If you bust out your DMM, you can test different places and ground your amplifier on the location that has the lowest resistance.
I've fixed many cases of bad grounds, engine whine, dimming light, etc, where I just changed the location on the ground to one with much less resistance, and fixed the issue in a matter of minutes.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

I noticed a HUGE improvement.

How is 105amps (max, BTW) supposed to get through the wimpy 12g (max) wire that came on my car? It simply can't. How about when some vehicle makers go cheap on all the grounds, too?

4g surely fixed it up! I can now run my 95a max audio system WFO with the lights on with NO dimming. At idle, noless.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic