hornet 567t, 97 galant es

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
masr1979 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Hi all.
I have a few screwy problems with my install. Remote start cranks, but it doesn't get to start the engine, but my main problem is with the valet/program switch; it's not allowing me to program any functions. I follow the instructions, but I can't get the car to learn to tach signal, or any sort of programing. When I press the button I get a "page" from the alarm module to the remote (showing the little phone on the screen), but the status light on the dash isn't doing what it's supposed to.
Aside from that everything else is working, and if I have the key in the ignition I can remote start the car, which got me to wonder if it could be something inmobilizer related since I'm not sure if the inmobilizer will not allow the engine to crank, and hence not start, or if it will allow it to crank, but not start. Now everything I have read so far led me to believe that I wouldn't need a bypass module, but again since I'm new to this I could have misinterpreted something.
Anyways I think the remote start is secondary to the valet/program switch issue, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. For some reason I think my problem is something so obvious (aside from my lack of experience in this that is) that I'm going to laugh at myself later. Thanks in advance for any help guys.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
564T maybe? The system needs to see +12V on the ignition wire before it will allow you to program any features including learning the tach. When you say "if I have the key in the ignition I can remote start the car" I would have to think you mean you have the key turned forward, not just in the cylinder. It sounds like you either have the wrong ignition wire in the harness or something similar.
Where in Jersey are you?
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  

Don't know if this is relevant but I immobilised a Shogun/Pajero/Montero (diesel) yesterday and there were 2 wires on the starter side, a BLACK / YELLOW and a BLACK/ red.

If this vehicle has a transponder (which I doubt) it will crank but not start.

masr1979 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
twelevoltz yup I meant 564t oops. Anyways, I tried today to remote start the car with the key in the cylinder, but not in "acc" or "on" and your right cranks up, but doesn't actually start. which brings to question if the system can crank the engine without seeing the +12volts. Lastly I'm in Middlesex County, Perth Amboy.
howie everything I've read so far leads me to believe that the car as, you assume, doesn't have a transponder.
Since it says it's optional I didn't connect on of the 3 power wires from the relay satellite, would that have anything to do with it? also can I just splice all my power wires to the constant 12volt on the ignition? or should I re-route some to the battery? Since it says that ever 12inches I have to install a fuse I wanted to evade that route, but if I must then I will. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
Drop the steering column cowl and look at ign switch barrel, there will be an antenna there if you have a transponder. I know Perth Amboy, I have relatives in Asbury Park and Monmouth.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
You NEED that RED / white wire. You do not need to add a fuse, it has a third already on that design. I wish DEI would update their manuals. The RED / white USED to be hooked up as a jumper on the relay pack. When they say it is optional they are only referring their older design and to vehicles that required additional power for their accessory/ignition circuits above what the 2 30amp supplies would provide. The RED / white is mandatory in any application now. Your vehicle only has one power supply wire to the ignition switch so yes you can hook all 3 constants to that one supply. Hook up that third supply and you should be good to go.
And for your reference, any item you add should have a fuse as close to the supply as possible. Within 12" is just a guideline to follow, the closer to the supply the better.
I'm in South Jersey, didn't know if you were closer.
masr1979 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ok guys, thanks. I'm pretty sure that I haven't seen an antenna anywhere near the ignition, and since I've been running around with the ignition's cover off for a few days I'm pretty sure I haven't missed it.
I'll try connecting the wire then. The wire that's not connected is actually a solid red one; I connected one solid red and the RED / white. The only reason I didn't connect the other one was because I wasn't sure if having so many wires connected to the same source would have negative implications.
I also haven't connected the orange wire from the relay satellite, "ground when armed" I believe. I'm guessing this just needs to be connected to ground right? sucks that I won't have much time to tinker around with these things 'til the weekend.
Twelvoltz 
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
masr1979 wrote:
I also haven't connected the orange wire from the relay satellite, "ground when armed" I believe. I'm guessing this just needs to be connected to ground right? sucks that I won't have much time to tinker around with these things 'til the weekend.
The orange ground when armed out is not a mandatory connection. Do not ground it, it is a ground supply output not an input.
masr1979 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  
Well I connected all 3 power cables from the relay satellite and still no joy. Pressing the program button is still paging the receiver. Any other suggestions guys?
masr1979 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
I think I will uninstall it, and re-install a few things at a time. Maybe this way I can find out at exactly what part I'm screwing up. Since aside from the valet/program switch not working to program the alarm, and as a result of that not being able to teach the tach to the remote starter, the alarm is working fine I'm not sure where to look for problems.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic