icon

fuse problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5kwatts 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
prymid 2000watt amp with two 15 audiopipe subs, pioneer headunit......finally got the amp working but now that i have it bridged at 2ohms it keeps blowing the power cable fuse........it is because i have a 30amp fuse or could it be sumthing else???  maybe if i put a bigger fuse in it will it help??
collyn eastham 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

1st. The fuse is inline with the battery to protect the vehicals wiring.

2nd. The fuse needs to be appropriate for the wiring size. The wire needs to be the correct gauge for the amp draw to the systems amps. If you are running that kind of power, you need 0ga. wire and a 200amp fuse. The fuse needs to be as close to the battery as possible.

3rd. Why are you using a 30 amp fuse?fuse problems -- posted image.

Collyn Eastham
a.k.a. 300MBQuart
08 HHR Panel
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
Find the 'RMS' rating of that amplifier and let us know.
What is the model number of the speakers, and how do you have them wired?
DO NOT put in a bigger fuse until you figure out the problem!!!
What size power wire are you using?
Does the fuse pop as soon as you turn the amp on, after listening for a while, or .. when?
My thinking is that you have your woofers wired below the amps stable range or that you have a short in the power cable.
Give us the model numbers of the amp and woofers and we can tell you how best to get this working properly.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
If you are bridged into a 2 ohm load, you are presenting a one ohm load PER CHANNEL to the amplifier. I know of NO Pyramid amp that'll run for very long with a one ohm load connected to it.
Also, if you are running a 30A fuse, yes, that's WAY too small. Even if the amp is 500watts, (probably a bit optimistic) 500WRMS/60%=833W 833W/14.4V=57A.
As long as your power wire is AT LEAST a #8, yes, you can upgrade that fuse to a 60 or 75A without issue. It's is there to protect the car anyway, NOT THE AMPLIFIER. If you are using a #8 wire from your battery, you COULD put a 100A in that wire, safely.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
One problem is the brand of amp. Not typically known for quality or giving real wattage for output. Normally it is high and exaggerated. However for a 2000 watt amp 0 awg wire is better then 8awg. 4 - 2 awg may suffice.
What is the rms of the amp? What length from power source is amp located? These will determine the correct wire gauge.
If the amp is 600 watt rms at a distance of 16 ft then 4 awg would be ok. If it were 800 watt rms at the same distance you would need to step up size to 2 awg. Being it is Pyramid then it will be more like 300 watt rms x 2. So 4 awg will be more then sufficient.
If the amp is a four channel, do not run at 2 ohms, it will blow amp. These amps are not designed to run lower then 4 ohms bridged. Each channel can run 2 ohms but even still it says you can do it, I would doubt the amp would last that long. Save some cash and buy a better piece of equipment.
5kwatts 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2007 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

audiopipe txx-ap15 15" dual 4 ohm subs      pb779x pyrmid amp             the fuse pops after i crank it up for about 5 mins and i noticed while in bridged mode my lights dim alot and it didn't do that befor it was bridged........the power wire im using is a 12awg i think

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2007 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
You cannot safely bridge that amp into a 2-ohm load.  In bridged mode it requires at least a 4-ohm load.
Support the12volt.com
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2007 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
5kwatts wrote:
audiopipe txx-ap15 15" dual 4 ohm subs pb779x pyrmid amp the fuse pops after i crank it up for about 5 mins and i noticed while in bridged mode my lights dim alot and it didn't do that befor it was bridged........the power wire im using is a 12awg i think
Lots of problems in that statement.
2 dual 4 ohm subs cannot be wired to a 2 ohm load, unless you are not running all the coils.    Your amp even though its not 2000 Watts still needs 8 agu or larger power wire.   12 guage is likely to set you car on fire.
If you do not understand what you are doing, you might want to take it to a shop and have it installed correclt before you, break equipment, light the car on fire, or both.
With your subs you have the logical option of 2 ohm per sub, per channel.   This would be your best and safest way to wire it.   Again you still need to get a real amplifier kit.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
fknfbm 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

First off... Pyramid. I dont care if that amp takes up 6 cubic foot of space, its still not gonna draw 2000W . Easiest way to determine a fuse for the power cable is to add up all the fuses on your amp. That amp... what ? 2X20A =40A. You would be safe throwing in a 50A fuse on the power wire. In my years of installing I have always used this rule. Add the fuses of your amps max current draw and then add 10 more for safe keeping.

If you want to determine the "max" wattage that your ebay amp is "pushing" add the amperage of the built in fuses. Like I said earlier, 2X20A = 40... 40a by a maximum of 14.4 volts = 576. Substitute your amps built in fuses with the 40 accordingly.

Ohms law doesnt lie...

techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
Pyramid PB779x amp manual
300w x 2 rms
if you have all coils of subs parallel, that would be a 1 ohm load mono, not good. you could run them parallel 2 ohms per channel or series parallel 4 ohm mono.
fuse problems -- posted image.
2 ohms per channel.
fuse problems -- posted image.
4 ohms mono.
Wire gauge of 12 doesn't make any sense. You need 6 - 4 awg definitely. A good fuse holder with 60 amp ANL or AGU fuse or at most 100 amp fuse. If you use thick wire on power, use same gauge on ground cable as well. Also make sure the ground you choose is a good solid ground. The best way to determine is meter the resistance from the negative side of battery and the ground point.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic