icon

domelight supervision, 07 mustang

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
07mustanggt 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
I used a relay for my dome supervision on my alarm. It only works like 25% of the time. Just wondering if they go bad or don't work all the time.
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
Well it could also be tthat he output on the alarm is not triggering the relay , hard to  say unless you test it when is not working.
Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, relays can go bad, and they can go bad in a variety of different ways.  They are an electromechanical device and can fail electronically (shorted or open coil) and mechanically (worn contacts, broken contacts, welded contacts, etc.)

However, usually when they fail they fail, they don't intermittently work.  I would venture to say the problem is with whatever is controlling the relay.  You could test this easily by hooking up an LED in parallel with the relay coil.  When the dome light isn't on the LED shouldn't be on.

Or, you could just replace the relay just to confirm it isn't the problem, they are only a few bucks.

Kevin Pierson
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
about a dollar or so for realys. max is like 5. Well if i was you, i would see where they put the dome light trigger relay. take a DMM connect to cosntant 12v and test the dome light output to see if it sends a ground out when u unlock by controll.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
actually, Radioshack sells them for $7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin Pierson
07mustanggt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
Whats the difference between a spdt and spst? I got a relay for my dome light supervision. It only has 4 prongs, I think its a spst(but not sure). It only works like 10% of the time. Did I use the wrong relay
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
SPDT = single pole double throw, SPST = single pole single throw, https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp 
domelight supervision, 07 mustang -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
07mustanggt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Ok So I still think I have a spst since it only has 4 prongs and not 5. Any ideas why the dome lights don't turn off when I arm my alarm or turn on when I hit disarm?
07mustanggt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ya I got my relay at radioshack for $7. I will try replacing it, and if that doesn't work I will test it. Thanks
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  

What is the year, make, model of vehicle and the make, model of alarm?

domelight supervision, 07 mustang -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic