subwoofer/amp distortion? constant bass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
donpisto 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2007 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
KrazyLoCo wrote:

The RCAs come out sometimes when the amp moves in my trunk... what could that mean? Could that cause the problem?

I'll definitely check your suggestions tomorrow and post back about that. Thank you.

Yes, most definitely. I bet each time the RCA came out of the plug and touched the amp, it popped a fuse. As the person above me mentioned, make sure you mount your amps securely. I haven't done so in my last few setups because I made little "feet" for the amplifier to be mounted and shoved it all the way back. Since the amps were long and nearly the width of the back of trunk and my enclosure took up nearly the entire trunk I had no issues. I would hear it slide if I slammed on the brakes, but that was rare. But I decided to mount it after being lazy all those months.
KrazyLoCo 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Just to be more specific... it's not engine interference that I hear (eg: alternator, revving, etc), it's the head unit's interference. For example, when my car is on ACC (car not even running), I hear a hum from the sub from the motor of the CD player, and if I pause/unpause and/or change tracks, everytime I pause or change tracks, the sub makes a noise.

Yesterday, when attempting some of the tests suggested here, I turned on my radio and sub, and after about 10 seconds, the sub went full blast (constant bass, very very loud) and then bang, the inline fuse (power cable to amp) blows.

This is usually how the fuse blows; the sub goes nuts and then bang fuse blows.

Any ideas? By the way, I tried the "Pioneer RCA cable fix" (grounding the RCA to the same ground as the head unit) with no success -- some problem occurs.

Thanks!!

ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2007 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

did you try the shorting plugs?

99% shure the RCA outs on the head unit are fryed. you can try a Ground loop isolator, if you got one laying around.

driving + unmounted amps = BANG

used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
KrazyLoCo 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  

Hey

What do you mean "shorting the plugs", it sounds simple but I don't know much about electronics. How would I go about shorting them?!

What's a ground loop insulator and how do I implement it?

ibasspro 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

Shorting plugs you can buy pre made at www.thezed.com I think thats the address, my work computer here wont let me on the net too much. OR you can make them by taking a pair of RCA cables, & about 6 inces from the end, cut em off....so you have the end that would usually plug into the amp, or deck. Inside the RCA cable end (& six inches that you have) are 2 wires, just strip the sheilding back, & connect the wires together. plug them into the amp (with the usual connector side) & turn it on. even with the gain at full, the amp should not make any noise. If it does, the amp has a problem.

A ground loop isolator simply plugs into your existing rca cables, really nothing much to em....around $20 at most shops/BB/CC/Fry's.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
thezed went out of business years ago.  Shorting plugs are for use only on unused inputs, by the way.  You can build your own if you're handy with a soldering iron, or buy them from a DJ supply store.  From the description of your issue (and the fact that your amp was bouncing around - which is very bad) I bet your amplifier is bad or you have damaged RCA cables.
Support the12volt.com
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
   buy a new set of rca's hook them up if problem still exists more than likely its your amp.SECURLY MOUNT YOUR AMPS. expensive and frustrating lesson learned. i hope its just your rca's
ibasspro 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, I meant for him to unplug the RCA's going into his amp currently & then plug in the shorting plugs. Perhaps look for Dave Navones (Navone Enigineering I think his bizz name is) site, I know he used to sell them also. I have never purcased them, made a pair years ago, LOL hence the refference to thezed....must be around the time I was making mine.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
What brand amp is it?
There is no such thing as free installation!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

Is this what you did when I suggested grounding the shield of the RCA cables?

http://www.bcot1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic