icon

2 amps to 1 sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kolk1 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2007 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 of the Memphis 1000Ds. unfortunately they are the reference series and cannot be strapped together. Is there any way I can safely run both amps to one sub?
Basically, I wanting to run a single sub of the New Orion HCCAs. They need about 2000 RMS. My amps are rated at 1000 RMS at 1 ohm.
They are matching amps, but wouldnt it be nearly impossible to get the same amount of power to each coil?
One idea I had, but probably a long shot, or just wouldnt work. What if I ran the + of amp 1 to the + of coil 1, then the - of amp one to the - of coil 2. Then the + of amp 2 to the + of coil 2, and the - of amp 2, to the - of coil 1? Would somehow help balance the power of the 2 amps, or would everything just blow up? lol.
Might be a dumb question, but im feeling out every angle. I dont want to buy new amps. And for some reason I really like the New HCCAs.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2007 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
dual voice coil? If so it is like having 2 subs each run off on one amp.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
kolk1 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2007 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, its a DVC. But it would damage the sub if one coil was getting slightly more or less power than the other voice coil. So im trying to find a way to safely tune, or combine the power of my 2 amps.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2007 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
no it wouldnt
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
another option would be to look into the Maxxsonics maxx-link.   It will strap any D class mono amplifier.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
crewwzin 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged  
It is very possible with those amps to push one sub with two amps. Heres what you do. You have to "voltage match" both amps. Take a signal generator (if you dont have one, I'm sure your local stereo shop would lend you theirs) and play a given frequency through Amp 1. Read the voltage on the speaker out side and remember that. Now do the same with Amp 2. Adjust the gain on Amp 2 to get as close as possible to Amp 1 voltage. Now you can hook up the sub, one voice coil to Amp1 and the other to Amp 2. Easy as pie. Hope this helps.
I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
You will not damage the sub (assuming each VC can handle the power of the amp.)  Nor does it matter if both amps are "voltage matched."  What matters is that both amps are producing the same signal in exact phase with each other, or you will create cancellations between the two signals in the voice coil.  In most cases, the best you can do is ensure both amps are receiving the exact same signal through cables of the exact same length and use the exact same length speaker wire to the subwoofer, and hope for the best.
Support the12volt.com
punkguyta 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
Can it be done? Yes, and with varying result (I just did this with my pyle 12" kicker on a sony stereo using both the L and R channels for both coils). However it made me fairly nervous to turn it up so I continued using my other (less powerful) amp with it hooked up @ 8 ohms (4 ohm coils).
Chrysler LHS w/ infinity 11 speaker factory system, 1200 watt sub on the way.
hardwarz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

kolk1 wrote:
My amps are rated at 1000 RMS at 1 ohm.

So... what's your amp rated at 4 Ohms?  I'm going to guess that your VC do not equal 1 ohm each, so putting 1 amp into 1 VC isn't going to give you the power you're looking for.

Hardwarz

punkguyta 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
hardwarz wrote:

kolk1 wrote:
My amps are rated at 1000 RMS at 1 ohm.

So... what's your amp rated at 4 Ohms?  I'm going to guess that your VC do not equal 1 ohm each, so putting 1 amp into 1 VC isn't going to give you the power you're looking for.

Hardwarz

Actually if the amp is stable at 1 Ohm then 1000 watts to a 2000 watt subwoofer will probably be plenty loud unless you're trying to do some spl battleing.
Chrysler LHS w/ infinity 11 speaker factory system, 1200 watt sub on the way.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic