2 amps to 1 sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
punkguyta 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2007 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
it still wouldn't matter if you had and amp on each coil as long as the signals were the same phase.
If it were perfectly set up, yes it wouldn't matter. However you need balanced outputs, exactly the same amps (model wise) and would defiantly have to play around with a volt meter and a sound generator. But this guy has two different amps, which means they are different amplifier chipsets basically and have different outputs, different in line effects too probably and it would be hard to get as clean as a sound out of the two as you could get having the coils wired together. Not to mention he needs a way of having a balanced input.
Chrysler LHS w/ infinity 11 speaker factory system, 1200 watt sub on the way.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2007 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
ibasspro wrote:

IF power is different to each voice coil, one with more power will try to move farter than the other, & WILL destroy the sub, as it will "push" the other VC, & generate exessive heat.You can easily prove this by hooking up matching subs, in the same sealed box, hook a 1000W amp to one sub, & a 500W amp to the other, & count how many seconds it takes for you to smell VC burning. do the same with 2-1000W amps, & count the time. The sub getting the LESSER power will get destoryed first, because it is being FORCED to move. Same goes for our DVC with different power to each VC, the one with lesser power with be forced to move.

This statement in bold is completely incorrect. You are saying that the coil that has more power will try to push and pull farther than the coil with less power and that will cause destruction of the sub??
lol..that is quite funny. So what you are implying is that the coil will rip apart from the former and unwind itself because the coils have different amounts of power put to them.
Than what about using one coil on a dual coil sub??? wouldn't that DESTROY the sub also. The coil in use is getting more power than the unused coil...So according to your theory the powered coil would try to "move farther" than the unpowered coil and destroy the sub.
Custom Enclosure Design
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2007 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

punkguyta wrote:
aznboi3644 wrote:
it still wouldn't matter if you had and amp on each coil as long as the signals were the same phase.
If it were perfectly set up, yes it wouldn't matter. However you need balanced outputs, exactly the same amps (model wise) and would defiantly have to play around with a volt meter and a sound generator. But this guy has two different amps, which means they are different amplifier chipsets basically and have different outputs, different in line effects too probably and it would be hard to get as clean as a sound out of the two as you could get having the coils wired together. Not to mention he needs a way of having a balanced input.

Matching the amplifier outputs is necessary to attain maximum performance from a single speaker/dual amp setup, but again, it is not necessary if all you're trying to do is not damage the subwoofer.  I will say it again: you can send two completely different signals at completely different power levels from completely different amplifiers to the two coils of a DVC woofer, and as long as you do not exceed the power handling capability of the coils, the speaker will be fine.  You may not get the output you expect if the signals cancel each other by being out of phase, but the speaker will not care at all.

Support the12volt.com
punkguyta 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2007 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

punkguyta wrote:
aznboi3644 wrote:

Matching the amplifier outputs is necessary to attain maximum performance from a single speaker/dual amp setup, but again, it is not necessary if all you're trying to do is not damage the subwoofer.  I will say it again: you can send two completely different signals at completely different power levels from completely different amplifiers to the two coils of a DVC woofer, and as long as you do not exceed the power handling capability of the coils, the speaker will be fine.  You may not get the output you expect if the signals cancel each other by being out of phase, but the speaker will not care at all.

But would you play your prized subwoofer at high volumes with different signals going to each vc for a couple hours? No cuz you know it would bust apart.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2007 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

punkguyta wrote:
But would you play your prized subwoofer at high volumes with different signals going to each vc for a couple hours? No cuz you know it would bust apart.

You are simply wrong.  I will say it again: as long as the power handling capability is not exceeded NOTHING bad will happen to the woofer.  Period.

Support the12volt.com
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2007 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
punkguyta wrote:
how would it bust apart if the cumulative power to the sub did not exceed the thermal limits or the mechanical limits.
I don't know why you keep fighting an already lost battle
Custom Enclosure Design
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 24, 2007 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

punkguyta wrote:

It's obvious that you didn't read the link Heamphyst gave earlier in the thread.  If you did then you would know that out of phase signals sent to each coil wouldn't cause physical damage (as long as power limits aren't exceeded), but would just cancel out the magnetic field produced by the coil resulting in no (or greatly reduced) cone movement.  Here's the link again, and I suggest you read it this time: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DualVoiceCoilDrivers.pdf

punkguyta 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

punkguyta wrote:

You are simply wrong.  I will say it again: as long as the power handling capability is not exceeded NOTHING bad will happen to the woofer.  Period.

Playing your sub with each vc wanting to go in a diff direction is "Eventually" gonna break something and possibly cause spyder damage.
punkguyta 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2007 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

punkguyta wrote:

It's obvious that you didn't read the link Heamphyst gave earlier in the thread.  If you did then you would know that out of phase signals sent to each coil wouldn't cause physical damage (as long as power limits aren't exceeded), but would just cancel out the magnetic field produced by the coil resulting in no (or greatly reduced) cone movement.  Here's the link again, and I suggest you read it this time: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DualVoiceCoilDrivers.pdf

I understand that however most people do run them with more power than the sub can handle or bring it into clipping.
punkguyta 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2007 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
how would it bust apart if the cumulative power to the sub did not exceed the thermal limits or the mechanical limits.
I don't know why you keep fighting an already lost battle
I'm fighting a lost battle because it doesn't make sense to run each vc on separate amps in the first place seeing as I just don't like taking risks. I've done it and I don't like the way it sounds at all. I'm pretty sure when you buy a sub-in-a-box the papers that come with it usually say recommended for series or parallel wiring (at least mine did)
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic