Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
PM sent
used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
kolk1 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, wow. Left last night with one response, came back to 3 pages lol.
Ill answer the main question, I was asked what my amps are rated at, at 4 ohms. The sub Im looking at is available in a dual 2. So my amps would be at 2 ohms each, roughly 800RMS each. These amps are supposedly underrated as well, but who knows for sure. But 1600 RMS so a single 12, should be good enough.
punkguyta 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
kolk1 wrote:
Ill answer the main question, I was asked what my amps are rated at, at 4 ohms. The sub Im looking at is available in a dual 2. So my amps would be at 2 ohms each, roughly 800RMS each. These amps are supposedly underrated as well, but who knows for sure. But 1600 RMS so a single 12, should be good enough.
For a 1600 watt sub TWO amps would be more than enough but being that each VC is half the rating that's 800 watts each, however you'd be safer off running the sub on one single amp even a 800 watt amp by itself will be enough power. Right now I'm running a 1200 watt sub off a 300 watt (max) panel amp and it's loud enough.
Rule of thumb, the amplifier doesn't care how many watts the speaker is as that doesn't matter, what matters is that the ohms match the amp. So if your sub is a dual 2 ohm, parallel wiring it would present a 1 Ohm load (Don't do that bad idea) so wire it in series to present a 4 Ohm load and you should be laughing.
Chrysler LHS w/ infinity 11 speaker factory system, 1200 watt sub on the way.
punkguyta 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
ibasspro wrote:
used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
It all makes so much sense now lol.
kolk1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
punkguyta wrote:
kolk1 wrote:
For a 1600 watt sub TWO amps would be more than enough but being that each VC is half the rating that's 800 watts each, however you'd be safer off running the sub on one single amp even a 800 watt amp by itself will be enough power. Right now I'm running a 1200 watt sub off a 300 watt (max) panel amp and it's loud enough.
Rule of thumb, the amplifier doesn't care how many watts the speaker is as that doesn't matter, what matters is that the ohms match the amp. So if your sub is a dual 2 ohm, parallel wiring it would present a 1 Ohm load (Don't do that bad idea) so wire it in series to present a 4 Ohm load and you should be laughing.
The sub can take 2000 RMS. If I run the sub in parallel, I wont be able to run 2 amps, so Id only be able to give it 1100 RMS. By running one amp per VC, ill be able to give it a total of 1600 RMS. I already have these amps. And down the road I will probably buy one amp that does 2000RMS at 1ohm, but for now, Id just like to get the box built, and buy the sub, and be able to push it as hard as possible, since it might be summer time before I decide to dive into buying a new amp.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  

What sub do you have that is rated at 2000 watts?

Also, the difference between 1000 watts and 2000 watts in the same speaker is only +3db.  Hardly enough to justify the extra expense unless you are competing.

Support the12volt.com
kolk1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
http://www.orioncaraudio.com/Products/Products.aspx?Productid=512
I dont have one yet. But I heard some, and love them. Ive been wanting to get rid of my 4 12inch Bravox UXP set up, and go with one or two of the HCCAs.
What do you think about just getting 2 of the dual 2 ohm HCCAs, and running 1100RMS to each sub?
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

It will NOT hurt, period. You've got all the documentation to prove it -courtesy of haemphyst.

I'm currently powering a single 4ohm DVC sub with 2 2channel amps. Each amp is rated for 250Wrms x 1 @ 4ohms. The sub is rated for 450Wrms (both coils). So, I'm slightly overpowering the sub, by 50watts.

Bottom line is, go for it unless you don't want to spend the money.

Keep in mind of the amps RMS power rating @ 2ohms, as each coil has an impedance of 2ohms.

You'll probably be better off (for the money) to get 2 mono amps that put out full power into 2ohms, not 1. But, for efficiency and sub control, you're well off as it is. Have Fun!

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
punkguyta 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
kolk1 wrote:
The sub can take 2000 RMS. If I run the sub in parallel, I wont be able to run 2 amps, so Id only be able to give it 1100 RMS. By running one amp per VC, ill be able to give it a total of 1600 RMS. I already have these amps. And down the road I will probably buy one amp that does 2000RMS at 1ohm, but for now, Id just like to get the box built, and buy the sub, and be able to push it as hard as possible, since it might be summer time before I decide to dive into buying a new amp.
What I'm saying is that you'd be safer off using just one amp for now even though it is underpowered because it's too risky I think to try running the coils separately.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
it still wouldn't matter if you had and amp on each coil as long as the signals were the same phase.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic