icon

dvc, svc, series, parallel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
standbackimapro 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
Can someone please Explain how to tell the differnce between a svc, dvc.. and the difference between series, paralell, independant and why they need to be wired that way?
Like if i had 2 subs, a mono 1 channel amp.. why couldnt i have 2 + wires from the amp + going to each subs +,  then 2 - negative wires going to each - of each sub.. why would i have to  run the positive to one subs + then the negative of that sub to the other subs positve then the negative of the other sub back to the amp negative?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

It all depends on the minimum possible ohm load of your amp and the impedance of your speaker.    If you have an amp with a minimun load of 4 ohms and you have 2   8 ohm speakers, the way you suggested would be the proper way in that situation. 

Now the same amp and 2 ohm speakers.  2   2ohm speakers connected that way will yield a 1 ohm load.  Wired in series they will yield a 4 ohm load.  Your amp will be happy there.   Not so happy at 1 ohm load.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

wrote:
Like if i had 2 subs, a mono 1 channel amp.. why couldnt i have 2 + wires from the amp + going to each subs +,  then 2 - negative wires going to each - of each sub..

That is a description of parallel wiring, where all connections are of the same polarity.

wrote:
why would i have to  run the positive to one subs + then the negative of that sub to the other subs positve then the negative of the other sub back to the amp negative?

And that is a description of series wiring.

(...and then ditto what I am an idiot said.)  Parallel and series wiring schemes create different impedances.  See the calculators in the left column under "Parallel and Series Calculators" to try out a few scenarios. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "independent" wiring, but I'll assume it refers to your first description.  Parallel is parallel, whether the wires go separately from each sub to the amp or whether the subs are connected to each other in same polarity.  The important common value is that the amp positive connects only with sub(s) positive and likewise with negative.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
I like JL's diagrams and ease of use:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=145

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic