icon

whats the best soldering iron

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rt4x4 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
what kind and what type of soldering iron does everyone use?
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
My tool of choice: Click
I will admit, I burn through tips every couple of months but other than that I have no complaints.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  

Twelvoltz wrote:
My tool of choice: Click
I will admit, I burn through tips every couple of months but other than that I have no complaints.

I got the same one. Works without any problems. Weller is another good brand.

rt4x4 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
what about one of the weller guns or do they get to hot or does that matter and what about the weller cold heat pro?
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
I was actually looking at a weller version and looks exactly the same!!!!!! If it didnt have the weller logo I would swear its the same.  My question is what kind of butane do you guys use because the ones i've had seems to go bad after a while like it gets clogged up and does not ignite anymore.  Its expensive to use the butane that snapon sells but if thats the one that works then I would need to order  a case.  Also I actually use a weller corder iron.   My snapon drop light has a power jack that i connnect the iron to and works great.   Funny that its a weller and I saw it on a snap on book with the snap on logo and looks exactly the same.....maybe they are?????????????
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
rt4x4 wrote:
what about one of the weller guns or do they get to hot or does that matter and what about the weller cold heat pro?
I have tried that cold heat thing. I guess it would work for board electronics but in my opinion it is crap. As far as the iron getting "too hot" the iron/gun you choose should offer a variable temperature setting. Weller is a very good brand, I have used their irons for various jobs for years with no complaints. As far as a butane/cordless iron goes the Snap-On iron I have currently (see above post) has never let me down other than the life expectancy of the tips but you can order replacement tips from Snap-On.com so you don't have to wait for the truck to come around. The local Snap-On guy here sometimes stops once a week, sometimes not for months. I assume that someone like Weller makes the Bluepoint/Snap-On iron that I have but I have not found anyone that has one that looks identical yet. I have found a few variations that look similar, but none that look identical.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
My RadioShack torch
i use this one from radioshack. only $20 bucks, has an iron tip and a torch tip. only complaint is the igniter is separate and not built in. other than that i love the thing
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2007 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

I used to use that Snap-on /Bluepoint  at $200 in UK untill I discovered that Radiospares (a nationwide electronics distributing company and Maplin -think Radio Shack UK) were both selling it for about $80!

I've used Weller Gas Irons ever since, also Weller Gun which is useful with its tip illumination; but the gas iron runs hotter!  I have found that once the first tip dies you have constant problems with the gas irons, you must be patient.

metalface427 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2007 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
The weller SP80L solder iron from orchard supply works very good for me i think its the 80 watts model.
ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2007 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
Mine is call "THE POWER PROBE" LOL seriously, got it off either the MAC or MATCO truck 5 or so years ago, go it as a funny, but it works really well. I use the butane from the local stop N rob, & have never had a problem.
used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic