the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

new head unit?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
Hey all! Looking for a new head unit for my car. Actually toying with the idea of getting something with iPod control (not for my iPod, but for other people (like my brother) that might ride in my car), Bluetooth, and DVD/NAV. Bob likes the new IVA-W205, and while I am certainly NOT against that one (I like it quite a bit as well...) and am seriously leaning toward it, (Merry Christmas to me new head unit? -- posted image. ) I always like to shop a bit! I was looking for additional HIGH END (meaning Dual, Audiobahn, Rockford, Kenwood, Sony, etc., need not apply) suggestions as well. Double DIN is the preferred format, please! HDRadio not necessary, but would be nice, and I don't really care about any satellite format - yet.
I really hate the new Eclipse faces, so I'd just as soon avoid one of those, not to mention the fact that Eclipse doesn't HAVE a double DIN unit anymore... Aesthetics are relatively important to me, so it has to be "pretty". LOL
By the way, jfinks, DYohn, dwarren, Steven, Bob...? Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat had been re-released... Remixed, (not so's you'd really notice) re-mastered, (THAT, however is noticeable) and four new FANTASTIC previously unreleased tracks! Borders should have it in stock! I also recommend it to ANYBODY looking for a beautifully rendered female voice for a reference recording.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

I like this unit, but the Alpine gear is nice, especially if you were to ever upgrade to a PXA-H701

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
But PIONEER??? Isn't the AVIC one of the noise plagued items, so famous from Pioneer?
(Dan, I edited my OP to include you in the list, if looking for a REALLY good reference recording of female vocals...)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
Aw, c'mon! You know you want Duals 'high-end' model!
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  
The Pioneer units properly installed have no problems.  It is only when the first step of any installation instruction is not followed.  1. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before beginning.  And I think through X-Mas Pioneer has a special.  An AVIC-D3 + the Bluetooth Unit + the I-Pod cable for a mere 1000 dollars.  And as I am sure you know has built in Navigation.  With the W205 you will have to buy the Bluetooth and I-Pod cable, and then a Blackbird to insert into the unit.  Believe me I am a Huge fan of the Alpine Line.  We recently started selling the Pioneer units.  Bang for the Buck you can't beat the Pioneer.  And don't worry about the noise problems.  That is only a factor for the "My Boy can hook that up for you" customer.  Oh and the D3 comes with the remote control in that special.   If interested I am not Real sure about X-Mas may be through 12-1  Too early for me to call and check on the dates.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
Double DIN?  That's pretty limiting.  I know Kenwood has several DD heads that might suit your needs.  I was rather impressed by the capabilities of the DDX8019.  I think Bob carries the 'Wood.  Then there is always Clarion...
Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  

I'm pretty sure Eclipse still makes doubl-din head units.  For example they just released their uber ugly Tom Tom head unit.

One suggestion I have is to look for one with a USB input, preferably on the back.  That way you could add an outboard extrenal hard drive to load music on.  Black friday had a 500 gig one at CC for like $80, and that should allow you to load quite a few uncompressed CD's onto it.  Pioneer sells an Ipod to USB connector for that input as well.  They may be the only one's who can control the Ipod over the USB input though.  However if your choice doesn't allow that, then just tell your brother to load his music on a thumb drive instead.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
Isn't the Eclipse AVN6610, and AVN5510 double din units?
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
The Pioneer units properly installed have no problems.  It is only when the first step of any installation instruction is not followed.  1. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before beginning.  And I think through X-Mas Pioneer has a special.  An AVIC-D3 + the Bluetooth Unit + the I-Pod cable for a mere 1000 dollars.  And as I am sure you know has built in Navigation.  With the W205 you will have to buy the Bluetooth and I-Pod cable, and then a Blackbird to insert into the unit.  Believe me I am a Huge fan of the Alpine Line.  We recently started selling the Pioneer units.  Bang for the Buck you can't beat the Pioneer.  And don't worry about the noise problems.  That is only a factor for the "My Boy can hook that up for you" customer.  Oh and the D3 comes with the remote control in that special.   If interested I am not Real sure about X-Mas may be through 12-1  Too early for me to call and check on the dates.

I agree...and that special pakage is pretty cool.

The only issue I have with the D3 is the inconvience with having to keep the Nav DVD in while en route. That's why I like the Z2, it has a built in 30gig hard drive.

I have put in a few of those Kenwoods, I don't remember the specific models, but the picture quality was not on par with the Pioneers at all

David, thanks for the addition to the list, appreciate it.

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2007 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
David, I would check which ones have the 24 bit DAC. You of all people should put sound quality above features. And yes Mr. Yohn, Bob carries major "Wood".
There is no such thing as free installation!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic