icon

alpine type x speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shagdrum 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2007 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
What about the mid range Morel stuff? The Hybrid Ovation stuff? How does that compare to the Alpine and JL stuff?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2007 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
shagdrum wrote:
Quick question: MDT's? I assume Metal Dome Tweets? If so, what is the difference is sound from silk to MDT's? Also, are you recommending the C5 series stuff over the VR? Thanks in advance for any and all input.
MDT = metal dome tweeter. Silk domes have a FAR smoother response in the highest registers, and overall a much more pleasing tone. Aluminum and titanium have very distinct ringing modes on both ends of their effective spectrums that I know *I* can hear the second I sit down in a car. Silk domes can be used with a slightly lower crossover point in many cases, and they don't advertise the fact that they are silk domes while doing so. I just think (as does MUCH of the audiophile world) that silk domes are a much better choice. My recommendation for the C5's? The C5's use the same woofer as the ZRs, but the silk-dome tweeter from the VR's. They also (help me here if I'm wrong, Bob and/or Dave...) completely re-designed the crossover, just for these systems.
shagdrum wrote:
What about the mid range Morel stuff? The Hybrid Ovation stuff? How does that compare to the Alpine and JL stuff?
Having never heard the Ovation gear, but having used the raw Morel stuff (Israeli sourced - the ORIGINAL Morel - not the US produced stuff of today) for years, I love it... The US produced stuff (all of the car audio stuff - including Ovation) seems to be as good as I remember, but I can't speak for across the board. Sorry I can't give a more concrete answer than that.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2007 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks, haemphyst, thats what I wanted to know. Another possible issue, I have been looking at the < color=#123476>Phoenix Gold Ti6 Comp Elite (midranges and tweeters manufactured by Morel Israel, based off the Elate line, and the crossover made in the USA by Phoenix Gold), basically cheap Morels. The think is, they say 300w RMS! I figure I could get an Alpine-PDX 4.150 and bridge it to two channels, which the literature on the amp says will produce 300w RMS @4 ohms, perfect. My question is about rear fill. I could put some 6x9's but at best they would be getting half as much power as that is all they could take (assume PDX-2.150). Will there be a huge descrepency in volume from front stage to rear fill? Are there any drawbacks to this, or not?

Also, on the JL audio stuff. If I went with an Alpine PDX-4.100, the four speakers would be seein' 100 watts RMS. All the JL stuff (VR,C5, ZR) are rated at anywhere from 60-85 watts RMS. Would this be any issue? If so, would there be a way around this issue? (If you can't tell, I am wanting to stick with the Alpine PDX series of amps.) Again, thanks in advance for the help! It's really appriciated.

shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  
anyone?
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
I just picked up those phoenix golds your talking about, they are right here beside me, they are in fact Morel Elate 6's, with a phoenix gold crossover, for the $300 apparently this is the best system $300 can by, however, do not run more that 150 watts per side as people have had issues over 200 per side. Minimum to get them going would be 100 rms each side.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
I thought they were rated at 300 watts RMS? Are they rating them combined?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
Speakers are power rated per unit that would be connected to one channel, not combined as pairs of components.  Amplifiers are rated per channel, and it is the match of amplifier to speaker that is looked at.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies. What about the rear fill issue? The only rating I can find for the PG Elites is 300 watts RMS. Alpine guys says thats divided between the two (I assume). And stevdart says that they are 300 each. Hmmm...

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
They technically are 300 wrms per side, BUT, they don't handle it very well, well... the woofers can, but there has been reports of the tweeters letting loose over 150 wrms per side, I bet they are crossed over pretty low.
As for rear fill, just pick up a coaxial speaker, you really don't want to hear them, they are meant for your passengers, or if your doing a surround system to watch or listen to 5.1 dvd's
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
shagdrum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2007 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks! I needed that cleared up. The only place I can find them at is woofersetc.com. Any other locations to buy? What about some reviews, more info on these? I searched a few other forums and people were saying "needs LOTS of power", "250 RMS or better". So I am curious if the woofer would underperform at 150 RMS. Some people also said you need to deaden the door real well... If you could point me in the right direction on these, links, reviews, ect, and/or let me know your experience with these as you use them, It would be a big help, as I am changing out the components in my doors at the start of the new year and have always wanted Morels. These are VERY appealing to me, just want as much info as I can get. Thanks again!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic