icon

'07 cobalt trouble remote starting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2007 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
This was supposed to be a cakewalk- a bare bones cobalt- no OEM remotes- manual locks etc-- no need to hook up starter wire- I am bypassing PK3 with another key - this is not the issue-- the car will not crank when remote started 90% of the time-- I have had it crank - start and run about 6 times-- but most of the time it turns on ignition and accessory together- then accessory drops out-ignition stays on-- but NOOOOO cranking- I have watched it work and I have watched it not work- I know I have the right wires- yellow for ignition, brown for accessory- and I know the PK3 is not an issue- because I have had it start with my "key in the box" bypass as well as with the OEM key in the ignition- It seems to only crank when it wants to- - I have it on tach mode- and when it does decide to crank and run it runs fine- problem is it just doesn't want to crank most of the time-- I have also tried two separate brain boxes- I am using a RS 900 VII from Crimestopper-- thanks for your help....
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2007 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe it has the passlock II set up along with PK3. The diagram from audiovox will show you how to bypass passlock on Cobalt and you will need the transponder to be activated also.
http://documents.audiovox.com/700122.pdf
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
brcidd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2007 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
I think it has more to do with the timing of the accessory drop-out-  My key has just a circle with a plus sign (+) in it-  but the car will start and run once out of about ten tries- If it were a passlock or transponder problem- the security light will flash-- I have already tested for that-- with no key near the ignition- the security light flashes- with key near there it goes off after initial on- same as when starting with the key--- I have also tried hot wiring the ignition and accessory wires- then dropping out the accessory- it acts just like the R/S does-- there must be a 2nd ignition timing issue or something going on-  I have been doing all my recent testing with no bypasses- just leave the OEM key in the ignition in the off/lock position...it does as I described- starts about 10% of the time....
ritopkid06 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2007 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
I would use a fortin CANSL2i version 12 on this car. The Cobalt, G5, G6, Malibu are all the same. If you have this new CANSL2i version 12 this car uses configuration 15. THis car DOES have PK3 AND Passlock.
brcidd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
I installed a Fortin CAN SL2  version 12.0 firmware on an Avalanche- I have the instruction sheet config 15 in front of me- it says "not compatible with 2007 + vehicle models" (I take this to mean 2007, 2008 models)  this is not a CAN SL2i - maybe there have been changes- my instruction sheet is dated 06/11/2007  which is fairly recent.
ritopkid06 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
The only thing that "Not Compatible" applies to is the data wire for keyless at the BCM. You can just use the purple and purple white wires off the CANSL2 and connect them to the lock and unlock wires off the starter your using.
brcidd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
I usually use the module when I can-- but this is a family member's car- and funding is an issue- I see now that the resistor needs to be involved in the start circuit- so I will wire it in with the two relays as advised above-- Sometimes it is good to learn why you use the module- doing it the hard way makes you appreciate the easy way-- and makes you understand what is going on---The fact that it was starting 1 out of ten times was puzzling me---but I was not using the resistor circuit at alll- this must be the problem.   Thanks again for all your help.
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
PKUGM2X by Bypasskits
 will takje care of both bypasses and the price is very minimal.
Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
brcidd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
I saw that one on-line- considered it- but it was still $65 one place, $75 another-- Heck,  the modules are actually more than I paid for the R/S unit.  For the same money I could have used the trusty CAN-SL2-  Thanks again......
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
You don't need the resistor circuit if you can mess with your accessory timing. Cut your ign wire from your remote start and put a jumper on one end (not the ign wire in the car) and remote start it. As soon as your remote start activates the acc circuit, reconnect that jumper and the car will start everytime as long as you do that process. Code alarm has a 2 relay tech tip for this, but I don't have it offhand sorry.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic