icon

amp gauge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

The shunt needs to be only a few inches long.  You could go to a hardware store and get a piece of solid ground wire, and some solder on ring terminals.  It would be better to not attach the shunt near the meter this time.  I am sure that the heat from the shunt is what toasted the original meter.  The 2 red wires that I see in the picture need to be connected to the shunt.  One wire to each end of the shunt.  You need to run 2 smaller wires from the same 2 junctions to the meter.  You will need to insert a 1K ohm potentiometer in series with one of the wires going to the meter.  This will be the adjustment to calibrate the meter.  You will need to figure out which of the 2 wires goes toward the positive connection of the tester.  That junction needs to go to the positive connection of the meter.

mag63 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
Fantastic mateamp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image.
I mostly follow what you're saying amp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image. would it be to much to ask for a wiring diagram as I could follow that betteramp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image.
Also the solid copper wire what thickness would you recommend?
Thanking you for your time and patience...
Mark...
I use to be confused but now I'm not so sure:)
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
amp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image.
mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2007 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  
Mate how good are youamp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image.
Hi again what would be your choice of the 2??
Pot 16mm 1 kOhm SG/Lin (B)
200mW 200VDC Spline 18 Teeth
Cat No.      R7551
Category:      16mm Single Gang

Product Image
A$1.89 incl GST
OR
Pot 16mm 1 kOhm SG/Log (A)
100mW 150VDC Spline 18 Teeth
Cat No.      R7502
Category:      16mm Single Gang

Product Image
A$1.89 incl GST
"go to a hardware store and get a piece of solid ground wire", what thickness does this need to be as It would have to cope with at least 40 amps is my way of thinking..
Mark..
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 10, 2007 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

The pot is not that critical   just get the cheapest thing available.  We may have to get a different value.  The 1k is just to get the meter working, we may have to get a different value for actual accurate calibration.    If you are only dealing with 40 amps you could use an AGU 60 as your shunt.  Please get a Buss Brand silver fuse.  If you use the AGU fuse as a shunt you will need to get a good fuse holder.  Do not use a sealed one as sold by every Car Audio Accessory manufacturer.  They are sealed and the heat has no where to go.  Use one found on the bottom of this page.  Middle row of pictures second from bottom.  http://www.webnevesht.com/products/Fuses-Buss.aspx    The description reads Buss Bussman Single Pole Fuse Block BM6031PQ NEW $ 2.95

I know it is only rated at 30 amps. It is severly underrated.

mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2007 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
Hi again, I had a look at the link you sent and I am having trouble finding that Bussman part here in Australiaamp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image.
I am waiting for a call back from the Australian agent as that part No. does not come up on their PC..
Also have sent a email to the Ebay person on your link about getting 1 sent here if I win the bid..
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 11, 2007 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  
I didn't notice your location.  The ground wire from the hardware store will work just fine.  Just get something that will handle 40 amps of current.  
mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2007 at 6:12 AM / IP Logged  
Hey that's coolamp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image.
OK I'm off to the hardware tomorrow then and I'll see what they have for me amp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image.
That's why at times there's a delay in posts, bloody time zones amp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image.
mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2007 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Hi yes it's meamp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image.
The hardware had nothing, well 20amp was the best..
Went to 2 more the same and by then I had smoke coming out of my ears amp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image. Went to a metal salvage yard no go either and finely to an electrical wholesaler and also NO but I told him It was for making a shunt for an amps gauge and he come up with a idea< amp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image. how about this a section of bus-bar and will handle 80amps the smallest length we have, Sold...
I'll cut of 4 off the fingers and use the flat bar!!!
To the eletronics shop this afternoon for the potentiometer amp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image.
mag63 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 6:10 AM / IP Logged  
Nothing to report yet haven't had the time, will soon amp gauge - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic