icon

dei and failed remote starts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmatteau 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 5:35 AM / IP Logged  

Does the Viper 160XVL have an option to try restarting the vehicle if it fails?  I turned on the check engine feature and it is set to monitor through Tach.  The problem is, sometimes the vehicle does not start and it does not try to restart.  It has been Tach Learned twice, that does not help.  I have been noticing the problem with cold starts, seems like the Jeep is not cranking long enough.  Took 5 try's before it would start this morning and it was about 30 degrees out, not cold enough to cause problems one would think.

Couple Q's.

Does this unit have the ability to attempt to restart if the RS fails?  If so, how do I set it?

If I change it to check voltage instead of Tach, what do you reccomomend setting the crank time to, this may help with the failed starts.  Please give your opinions and reasoning.

2003 Jeep Liberty.  160XVL remote starter.

jmatteau 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 6:36 AM / IP Logged  
Another question.  what if I rev the engine at about 1200 rpm and learn the tach for that?  Good, bad, problematic?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  
well, over the years in installing. the only thing with some units. When u program the tach for a high rpm, durin the winter, the rpm is alot lower than what it would be during summer. If you could do a cold start then learn tach, i guess thats best.  
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
Where is tach connected? I think I use a gray/black at the PCM on the driver's fender, but a fuel injector should probably work fine.
I assume you have access to the installation manual, and you know how to use the programming options? There should be some sort of "troubleshooting" or "diagnostic" setting that will show the reason for the last remote start shutdown.
Generally, If the remote starter tries and fails, it'll try again twice more............ but if it sees hoodpin, brake, toggle-switch shutdown, or excessive RPM, it'll shut down and NOT try again.
jmatteau 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

Chris Luongo wrote:
Where is tach connected? I think I use a gray/black at the PCM on the driver's fender, but a fuel injector should probably work fine.
I assume you have access to the installation manual, and you know how to use the programming options? There should be some sort of "troubleshooting" or "diagnostic" setting that will show the reason for the last remote start shutdown.
Generally, If the remote starter tries and fails, it'll try again twice more............ but if it sees hoodpin, brake, toggle-switch shutdown, or excessive RPM, it'll shut down and NOT try again.

Out of the options you listed the only one that would be applicable in my instance would be excessive RPM.  Here is what happened in order this morning: 1st try, turned over, failed to start and all lights stayed on like it would be running.  2nd, 3rd and 4th try, turned over, started and died within 2 or 3 seconds.  The lights went off and did not try to restart.  5th try, started and ran fine.  The weather was about 30 degrees F.

I see that there is a tach threshold jumper on the unit.  Manual says it may need to be switched off for some newer GM vehicles, does anybody have any experiance with this.  I was thinking of turning it off and seeing what happens.  I also changed the tach learn to about 1800 rpm's, there seems to be no difference when rs it though, still cranks a little, starts and the rpm never even hits 1800.  Sound normal?

jmatteau 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  

Edited this sentance, had it backwards.

Manual says it may need to be switched on for some newer GM vehicles, does anybody have any experiance with this.  I was thinking of turning it on and seeing what happens.

rabenoja 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  

What kind of bypass are you using for your immobilizer?  I've heard of situations where if it's too cold out that the key in the box (556u) can fail.  Again, I've only heard of that situation but, I've never experienced it myself in my years of installing.

Also, did you try to use the check voltage and adjust the crank time yet?  I know that it is better to use tach but, I'd suggest to try the voltage option in the meantime and see what happens.

jmatteau 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
rabenoja wrote:

What kind of bypass are you using for your immobilizer?  I've heard of situations where if it's too cold out that the key in the box (556u) can fail.  Again, I've only heard of that situation but, I've never experienced it myself in my years of installing.

Also, did you try to use the check voltage and adjust the crank time yet?  I know that it is better to use tach but, I'd suggest to try the voltage option in the meantime and see what happens.

No bypass required, not a transponder key.  I have not yet set it to voltage, I am trying to avoid that by fixing the problem.

V8Sonoma 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have never seen a Liberty without the sentry keys.What colour are your ignition keys?
jmatteau 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
V8Sonoma wrote:
I have never seen a Liberty without the sentry keys.What colour are your ignition keys?
Black
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic