icon

autostart brand starters, goofy quirks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobilefx 
Copper - Posts: 48
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2007 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  

we do tons of autostart remote starters.   they are hands down the most reliable systems i have ever used..  affordable, helpful, courteous tech guys which is rare.  

any of you guys deal w/ the brand.   i have been hesitant to use the "virtual tach" mode because i got burned alittle by it w/ another brand 2 winters ago.  every time it was super cold, the "tachless" was unreliable.  

w/ the autostart brand i have had some weird issues w/ the tach before crank sympton.   i think 5 or 6 slow flashes on the troubleshooting list off the top of my head.  been alittle irritating.  if anyone is getting that and using tach let me know. i have some good ideas to break the tach wire for a sec before start attempts and also good advice for that prob if you have a ford w/ the GEM falling asleep..

anyways, just looking for some input on the "tach before crank" diag issue that prevents starting and also hows the improved virtual tach doin in the field. 

mobile f/x
ervie 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2007 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  
all we use is autostart, had no problems with them at all.
swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2007 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
have done over 100 installs is the past 2 months
using virtual tach with zero problems i love this feature it works awesome!
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
mobilefx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2007 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

i have just gotten another batch of as2350 units in..  not 55 series stuff..    anyone doing the tachless on them .. they had a bad run and i am not sure if the 2350 will do tachless.   says no in tech sheet that comes w/ it..  just veryifying

also i was told by a rep today, dont know if he knows what he is talking about (usually the case)  that since dei purchased autostart they are planning to transform it complety and model after dei parts.   that sucks if so.. i dont like viper products.     anyone here of that. 

one last note.  we have had 2 cars today (weird) come back because they weren't pagin in the 2455 model.   first was antenna, but second would work fine when remote started.  doorlock indicator would change and page only on start.   would operate locks when car was off, but no page.   turned out to be bad ground..  weird.  car was good from initial install 2 months ago,  always started fine, but apparently had voltage issue and wouldn't send pageback unless running.   hopefully helps someone out in the future.  

mobile f/x
wwizard 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2007 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

I had them flashes before on a car when i took tach wire from in the car as soon as we switched to grabing the tach at the injectors it worked i am not familiar with virtual tach anyone help with that?

swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
mobilefx wrote:

i have just gotten another batch of as2350 units in..  not 55 series stuff..    anyone doing the tachless on them .. they had a bad run and i am not sure if the 2350 will do tachless.   says no in tech sheet that comes w/ it..  just veryifying

also i was told by a rep today, dont know if he knows what he is talking about (usually the case)  that since dei purchased autostart they are planning to transform it complety and model after dei parts.   that sucks if so.. i dont like viper products.     anyone here of that. 

one last note.  we have had 2 cars today (weird) come back because they weren't pagin in the 2455 model.   first was antenna, but second would work fine when remote started.  doorlock indicator would change and page only on start.   would operate locks when car was off, but no page.   turned out to be bad ground..  weird.  car was good from initial install 2 months ago,  always started fine, but apparently had voltage issue and wouldn't send pageback unless running.   hopefully helps someone out in the future.  

I sure hope they dont, i wont use them anymore if they do.
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
ervie 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

swerks wrote:
have done over 100 installs is the past 2 months
using virtual tach with zero problems i love this feature it works awesome!

Ive never heard of this feature could you please elabourate

mobilefx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

virtual tach is a slick feature and concept..   the easiest way to describe it is most systems that use "tachless" or 'virtual tach" detect the change in battery voltage from rest (12v) to running and started (14v) .  autostart says that there system looks at more than just voltage increase on the battery wire to make theirs more reliable.     

i do a ton of autostart stuff..  i have carried other brands in the past.  here is a prime example of why this feature is awesome.   on a trailblazer/envoy i have always gotten tach inside the car at the main group of wires running left to right below the steering column, typical white wire.  works fine on the 2 other brands i carried in the past (crimestopper and astroflex).. for some reason the timing of that wire disagrees w/ the autostart tho.   so now i have to go under hood and take off intake cover and dig up an injector, not  a huge deal just irritating since i never had to before.  

well w/ virtual tach you just dont use the tach.  no programming, no modules, nothing.    just start it.    

i have done 3 trailblazers this week and not hooked up tach.   works perfect so far.   

in the past crimestopper had one of the first good tachless modes.   worked on most cars but the problem was that it was less reliable the colder it got.  convient huh?   everyone worked like a champ in the warm shop.  a week later when it was a cold morning,   usually undercrank.   autostart says that their system is more reliable in the cold actually and is working well.   i have had perfect results.  just hate to run into sometime like the older ones had. 

try it out.. usually works best on gms and japanese cars.   next accord you get.. dont hook up tach. hit the button

mobile f/x
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
On DEI products we use tachless mode and our shop increases the crank time from .06 to .08 seconds. Had a Honda Odyssey that I think I had to raise it to 1.0 seconds. I thought it was the bypass module at first but it would start on second attempt before I changed the crank time.
DEI seems to be buying out all the companies it can.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
racing_bidule 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

Virtual Tach is more than any other Voltage sensing on the market.

1- it checks the battery just before crank when it turns ignition ON. (if the battery is low the system auto calibrate to the battery)

2- it kicks the starter and start monitoring the voltage peaks and slopes (monitoring the current the starter consumes between each cylinder sparks)

3- Once the engine starts, the slopes and peaks dissapears to show a nice higher voltage than the original battery voltage, within milliseconds after engine start the Autostart will interrupt the cranking sequence. (it can also be adjusted)

Using the battery reference and cranking slope the way it's used offers an accurate crank and avoids overcranking.

It's a great feature which is been tested on over a 100 vehicles during rough winter days (the vehicle range included old crappy cars up to brand new vehicles).

If you fail on your first attempt, at least destroy all evidence you tried!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic