the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 5204 on 03 sierra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2014 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  

Two things to check :

Verify that the Sierra's White IGN2 is getting +12V from the Pink/White wire during the remote start.  Must be set as an Ignition type wire.

Verify that the Sierra's Brown ACC2 wire is getting +12V from the extra relay and is working like an Accessory wire ( +12V drops while cranking ).

Soldering is fun!
roadglide2459 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2014 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Hi Kregg – thanks for the reply.
Not sure what you mean by “Must be set as an Ignition type wire.” Is that in the Viper programming? I will re-rad the programming instructions just in case.
I will verify that the Brown Acc 2 wire is getting 12volts from the extra relay tomorrow – it’s cold as heck up here and getting late to boot – just happy I was able to get the truck running.
Feel like a fool not realizing the battery was drained.
Thanks again for the reply.
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2014 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, the H3 Pink/White wire is programmable to either IGN, ACC or Starter.  See Menu 3, Item 8.  Default is IGN, so you should be OK there.
Soldering is fun!
roadglide2459 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2014 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yes - was just going over the programming instructions and noticed that - to be sure, while programming earlier I wonder if I may have inadvertently changed that setting because I was in Menu 3 to make the transmission mode change - will let you know.
FYI - I spliced into the Sierra's White IGN2 wire (and soldered the Pink/White Viper wire into it) as opposed to cutting it and stubbing off the key side - was that the right thing to do.
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
kreg357 
Posted: March 03, 2014 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, Viper Pink/White wire only ( Pink/Black is not used ) and soldered directly to un-cut Sierra White IGN2 wire.
Soldering is fun!
roadglide2459 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2014 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
Hi Kregg,
Earlier today I replaced the battery on my truck (the one giving me grief during the install). Thought I’d do that before checking the wiring (re: previous post on 4WD Service light). Anyway, after the replacement, the door locks no longer functioned correctly, and the remote start would try to start but immediately fail – I tried to run shutdown diagnostics (as per the Viper manual) but they would not register on the Viper control center. Attribute that to the note on the Viper manual – “ Shutdown diagnostics does not report if the vehicles factory immobilizer is causing the problem. Thinking maybe that disconnecting power fubared the immobilizer.
Subsequently I did a factory reset on the idatalink as per the idatalink ADA-AL(DL)-GM1 programming instructions – did I blow away the firmware and need to reflash? because now it appears the idatalink is in need of more vehicle information to program correctly.
Have included a picture of my bench install – all wires double and triple checked before finalizing the install in my truck - and to be sure everything was working fine prior to disconnecting power and replacing the battery.
Thanks
Rick
viper 5204 on 03 sierra - Page 3 -- posted image.
RoadGlide2459
kreg357 
Posted: March 04, 2014 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

The ADS Factory reset procedure won't hurt the GM1 firmware flashed on the module.  After the reset, you must set the Installation Mode

to Standard ( two Blinks ) then continue with the actual vehicle programming using the ignition key.

All the bypass module needs for programming is the Pink IGN wire, the Orange J1850 wire, the Red to +12V and Black to chassis

ground.

Verify that you have a good, clean chassis ground connection and the ODB2 J1850 wire is properly soldered.

Soldering is fun!
roadglide2459 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2014 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
What if the idatalink originally came with flashed with ADS-AL(DL)-CH4 2.5 and was re-flashed to the GM firmware?
I have the Pink IGN wire hooked up as well as the Red 12V + and Black to suitable ground.
Not sure what you mean by the J1850 wire - I have the Orange wire coming out of the bypass (properly soldered) to the OBD2 connection on the truck.
I set the install mode to standard (2 blinks)and hold the button for solid green (as per instructions) but then it starts flashing RED (as opposed to solid green) which according to the idatalink manual indicates "Missing/Wrong information from firmware or vehicle"
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
kreg357 
Posted: March 04, 2014 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, that is fine.  When the module was re-flashed, it over-wrote the CH4 firmware so that no longer exists.  Only the GM1 firmware

is on it now and you can do a factory reset as many times as you need.

The J1850 data wire is the Violet wire at Pin 2 of the OBD2 connector.

The bypass module programming sequence is 3 steps ( 4 if you count the original ADS USB cable / GM1 firmware flash process )  :

1.  Factory Reset
2.  Set the Installation Mode and lock it in.
3.  Do the vehicle programming with the ignition key

It would be normal to get the flashing Red LED after step 2 and prior to step 3.

Soldering is fun!
roadglide2459 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2014 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
Ok - I have double checked the J1850 wire connected to the Orange coming out of the bypass - it is as it supposed to be.
The installation mode selection is where I run into problems...
I select the installation mode (2 green flashes of the LED for W2W), but when I attempt to lock it in by pressing and holding the programming button the LED turns RED (as opposed to green)
And then when attempting Step 3 (vehicle programming with the ignition key)I also run into problems - I'll insert the key and turn to start position (careful not to engage starter)and wait for the LED to turn green, but it never does - have waited up to 5 minutes.
I just want to say I really appreciate your help.
Thanks
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic