Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
calum 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2008 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

calum wrote:
An external regulator isn't going to help that at all, you'll need a smaller alternator pulley to spin the alternator faster to help that.

And then belt tension becomes a critical issue - how easy is this to deal with?

In what regard?  Of course you'll need to put a shorter belt on.  Are you wondering about the surface area of the pulley being too small for the belt to get sufficient friction?  If so take a look at this pic. That's my alternator pulley, it's as small as it could be made and still allow a socket to fit over the bolt that holds it on.  I don't have any problems with belt tension.

ho alternator companies - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

sedate wrote:
calum wrote:
To install an external voltage regulator

Wow - interesting info - Now you can do this any car?  Not just a 70's Chrysler? 

Wouldn't the alternator have a voltage regulator on it already?  And this is supposed to control the voltage coming off the alt at idle when the voltage otherwise wouldn't be up to snuff?

I can't say for certain, but one of these regulators should work with any alternator, so long as it doesn't have an internal regulator. 

Yes, all alternators have voltage regulators.  Some are in the alternator, some are external and some are in the PCM.  If it's internal to the alternator then you wont have the field wire, just the 12 volt and the output from the alternator.  And some don't even have the 12 volt. 

No the regulator doens't some how boost the alternators output at idle if the alternator isn't up to snuff.  "An external regulator isn't going to help that at all, you'll need a smaller alternator pulley to spin the alternator faster to help that"  A voltage regulator, regulates the voltage output of the alternator.  That's it. 

twobig86 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2008 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

Could we get back on topic please...I am in desperate need of a HO alternator company now...could you guys keep recommending them and if possible leave contact information or a website I can look at thanks.

I have tried HO alternators.com and no reply

Any contact up to date contact info on this iraggi guy?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2008 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Call 563-323-3337 and ask for Phillip. Potter is the last name. HOAlternators.com, but a direct line in, through the front door. That's a direct line to his desk.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
elmore4030 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2008 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  
I got mine from motorcityreman.com and it seems to work just fine and they are not so high as other places are.I just told them the model and year and engine size ,and they build it to fit the same as the factory one that was on it.  I got a 160amp for $139.99 and at idle it puts out 88amps.
Pioneer DEH-P960MP+Multi-CD Player Rockfordfosgate 225.2
Rockfordfosgate T8004 Rockfordfosgate 2 T110D2 InFinity Reference Components 2 sets of 6000cs 2 sets 6800cs
twobig86 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2008 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

I called HO Alternators and Philip said that all he can do is 170 amps with around 80 amps at idle.  Sorry cant find that sheet where I wrote it down.  Now Dominik Iraggi has a 180 amp / 115 amp idle on ebay for half the cost.  Now haemphyst in another post this is what you calculated:

The 1000 watt amps are digital, yes? 80% efficient. So, 2000w/.8=2500 watts in (sub amps, only)

320W/.6=533 watts in (highs amp)

2500+533=3033 watts in / 14.4v = 210A

That's what you need just for the amplifiers. The Si also had power stuff - windows, defroster, A/C, fog lamps(?)...

My 07 Civic, just to run, with NO accessories turned on, requires about 10A, high-beams bump that to 32A, A/C bumps it to 70A (with the fan on high), turn signals, brake lights, and defroster running, too? I can easily go to 100 to 110A with the stereo just turned on, and playing at a reasonable volume.

Not being completely familiar with the 93 Si, I can't say you COULDN'T stuff a large case GM 300A model under the hood; I know in my 86 Si, there was PLENTY of space for a bumped up alternator.

Call over to HOAlternators, 866-446-8878, and ask for Phillip at extension 106. That guy knows his stuff! I'm betting they can make, or even have on the shelf, a bracket mod for your car.

With those numbers being at max power would you go with the same setup and just tone down the subs a bit or should I cut my losses and ditch one sub and one amp...

If I only had the 170 amp how much power / loudness potential will I lose?

I hope this makes sense to you guys.  Im in a rush and did not reread 

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic