icon

valet 562t cranks no start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pappasteve 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
How would the wires be hooked on the relay. I would have to be a 30 amp relay wouldn't?  I'm not sure if our local auto stores carry them or not.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like you are not powering a required IGN wire......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
pappasteve 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
I know the R/S is supplying power thru the pink wire.  It is hooked to the BLACK/ white wire for the ignition  
pappasteve 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

I double checked the ignition wire and it has power while it is cranking with the remote starter. 

Does anyone know which wire on the ecu is for the tach.  It is easier to get to there then at the instrument panel.

I found another wire that only had like .7 volts a/c it idle and went up as rpms went up.   Still didn't make a difference.  Still won't start without the key in the on position.    

pappasteve 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

I think it does have to do with the tach wire.  I went to the auto parts store and looked up the tach wire and it showed a RED / blue wire for the tach.  I got home and checked there wasn't a red blue wire on the ecm. 

I tried to disconnect the tach wire and see what happens.  It still tries to start but only cranks for about 2 seconds instead of 6 seconds. 

Would it be better to try and program it for voltage instead of tach.  I may try that Sat. just to see if it will start and run.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. 

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
If a Valet remote start sees no tach signal it shuts the starter down after about 2 seconds.  We all know that!   (joke from another thread)   :)
Kevin Pierson
KPierson 
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

It most likely isn't an ignition circuit not being powered because if it were then the remote start would work with the key in the On position.

It can't be an OEM security issue because it won't start with the key in the On position.

Whats the temperature where you are at?  If it is extremely cold it may have something to do with the 2nd start wire.  I like to use two seperate relays to keep the two starter wires isolated.  You should be able to tap in to the small purple wire going to the relay pack and use that to power the coil of a 30A SPDT Bosch relay.  You would wire pin 30 to 12vdc (high current) and pin 87 to the 2nd starter.

Other then the 2nd starter that pretty much leaves tach.  I would switch it to voltage sense mode and see if that allows it to start.  If it does then you have pinpointed your issue.  I'm not sure how the Xterra is set up but I would recomend using a fuel injector wire - you can get the color at the injectors (the constant 12vdc side will be a common color among all injectors, you will just need to use the other wire from any of the injectors) and then trace it back to the ECU to make your connection there.

It really helps troubleshooting tach wires if you have the right tools - a meter that reads frequency would provide much better information then trying to read the signal with an AC meter.

Kevin Pierson
pappasteve 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  

But it does work with the key in the ON position.  I can then turn the key off and take it out and it will still run.

It's like 40 degees here.  I even tried warming the vehicle up 1st to see if that would have any effect on it.  Didn't change anything.

My meter has frequency on it I'll try that and see. 

I already know what wire on the ecm are for the injectors.  There is also a second acc wire that I didn't hook up either.  Could that  be cause a problem with something not getting voltage?

On H2 there is a factory alarm disarm and rearm that I havent hooked up yet either.  Could this have a effect on it not starting. I assumed it was to do with the door locks 

KPierson 
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry, I didn't see your update post that said it will start with the key in the "On" position, I just saw the first post that said it wouldn't.

If that is the case then it does sound like either an ignition wire or factory security issue.

To test to figure out which one it is try remote starting  the vehicle with the key in the ignition cylinder but not turned.  If it starts then the problem is a factory security issue.

If it will only remote start with the key in the "On" position (and not just in the cylinder) then you need tor recheck your ignition wires.  I doubt it would be an accessory wire, but that would be something worth checking as well.  Also, make sure you didn't hook ignition and accessory up backwards - the igntion wire needs to be energized while the starter is cranking.

Kevin Pierson
stiver_32 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Doesn't the valet 562t have 3 wires that must have 12v+... one of which the manual states is optional if you do not need the 2nd start/ignition for your vehicle.  However this is an error in the manual, you do need all 3 wires connected to 12v+ regardless of whether you are using it.  I think it is the RED / white fused wire... Correct me if I'm wrong.  I remember having a similar issue with a Valet remote starter. 
Maybe if would help if you listed exactly which wires you have connected from remote starter to vehicle.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic