icon

viper 5301 on 2006 honda el

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
airweld 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
Greetings all, I am new poster so forgive me if I overlook some rule of the forum. Please let me know. Thanks.
I am trying to install a Viper 5301 with just basic remote start and door lock features. This is my first Viper and it is not very DIY friendly compared to the three others I have installed over the years. I can't access the vehicle-specific data online, not being a licensed installer, as I'm sure you all know. I did not know this at the time of purchase. So, after tracking down all the wiring data I could find, this is my current configuration:
Honda Element 2006           Viper connection
12 Volt constant- white(+)- H3/5 red and H1/2 red
Starter -BLACK/ white(+)-     H3/4 violet
Ignition- BLACK / YELLOW(+)-   H3/1 pink
Accessory 1- BLACK/ red(+)-   H3/6 pink/white
Accessory 2- WHITE/ red(+)-   H3/3 orange
Parking Lights- blue(-) -    H1/11 white
Door Lock- WHITE/ blue(-)-    Door Lock Harness- green
Door Unlock- WHITE/ green(-)- Door Lock Harness- blue
Tach- brown- behind glovebox Remote Start Input/2- violet/white
Brake- WHITE/ black(+)-       Remote Start Input/3- brown
Ground on chassis(-)-        Remote start input/1- BLACK/ white
              H1/5- black
Omega IB-H34 bypass- ground when running- brown wire goes to Remote Start Output/5- blue on Viper
All Omega bypass wires connected to 7-pin key switch per included installation instructions for Honda vehicles. (How nice of them!)
Neutral Safety switch plugged in and switched "on"
Hood pin not connected, default is "Normally Open"
Parking Light flash is connected "negative"
Key positions are: Off, 1, 2, and crank. The wires in the steering column are configured like this:
White-        Always hot
BLACK/ red-     hot on crank
BLACK / YELLOW- hot on 2 and crank
BLACK/ red-     hot on 2
WHITE/ red-     hot on 1 and 2
That's the setup. I programmed the bypass module. plugged everything in and all was good. Doors lock and unlock, with parking light flashes,(horn not connected), and feedback to the remote. Try to remote start and error code is seven flashes (manual transmission mode is enabled and not initialized). The default is manual transmission mode. Tried to change to automatic mode several times, but still getting error code of 7 flashes. Something must have gone wrong as now the blue led on the Valet/Program switch blinks constantly and I can't program anything. The rate of blue led flashing increases when I unlock the doors (using remote) until the doors relock after 10 seconds or so. Then the rate of flashing slows down again to the once a second or so. I have unhooked everything from the brain and re-connected, with no change. All connections soldered and taped.
Bottom line is:
Doors still lock and unlock with light flashes and feedback.
Blue led on Valet/Program unit flashes continually and will not allow any programming, including reset to default features.
Remote start still gives 7 flash error code.
I can find nothing in the included install guide book to help.
Any ideas? I am a 20 year aircraft mechanic, and pride myself on problem solving skills, but I have no experience with these units and no data to get help from.
airweld 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
I noticed an error in the key position data. Should be:
White-            Always hot
BLACK/ white-      Hot on crank
BLACK / YELLOW-     Hot on 2 and crank
BLACK/ red-        Hot on 2
WHITE/ red-        Hot on 1 and 2
Thanks for any help.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
When you try to enter programing what happens? You must set that unit to automatic mode! Otherwise there's a long procedure to perform to initialize remote start! On all honda vehicles i've known since ever, black and yellow has been ignition and BLACK/ white starter!
airweld 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I have BLACK / YELLOW is ignition, and BLACK/ white is start. I posted a correction to that effect.
Absolutely nothing happens. The blue led just keeps on blinking before, during, and after anything I try to do. I was trying to change it to automatic when it just started blinking with no response. I can't figure out how to reboot, or reset it. The constant blinking blue led must indicate something, right? Any ideas?
05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  

some of your wiring on the main power harness is wrong, in your situation you will hook up all 3 of the red power wires, orange will go to acc 1 and pink/white will go to acc 2 in the car

the BLACK/ white neutral safety wire needs to be hooked up to ground in your situation, nevermind I see you have that connected to ground

like what was said above you need to get the viper unit in auto mode before you can do anything

05gt 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
this might be stupid but the constant light on led could mean the car is locked, press unlock on the viper remote, lol (just incase you missed that)
airweld 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the response 05GT. When I unlock using the remote the blinking led speeds up to about 2 flashes/sec until the automatic relock happens and then it slows back down to about one flash/sec. That is the only thing I can do to change the blinking led at all. Yea, that would have been a real head-slapper if that's all it needed.
So are you saying that the RED / white, H3/2, the RED / black, H3/8, are also connected to the white, always hot, wire in addition to the two red wires I already have always hot (H3/5 and H1/2)? Or do they need to be hot only when the key is on? Even for a basic remote start and door lock situation?
05gt 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

H3/1  Pink (connect this to ignition 1 in the car

H3/2  RED / White (connect this to 12 volts in the car)  this will power the acc 2 wire from the viper brain

H3/3  Orange (connect this to acc 1 in the car)

H3/4  Violet (connect this to the starter wire in the car)

H3/5  Red (connect this to 12 volts in the car)  this will power the ign 1 wire from the viper brain

H3/6  Pink/White (connect this to acc 2 and you have to program the viper for acc 2),   default is ign 2

H3/7  Pink/Black (not used)

H3/8  RED / Black (connect this wire to 12 volts)  this will power acc1 and starter wires from the viper brain

these three wires are on the 5 pin harness

BLACK/ White (this wire needs to go to ground)

Violet/White (this wire goes to the tach wire in the car)

Brown (this wire goes to the brake wire in the car)

airweld 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the rundown on the connections. Will give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Hopefully I will be able to program the features as they need to be.
One more question if you will. What is the normal state of the blue led? Is it off all the time except when you are programming, etc.?? I saw someone else reference the blinking blue led and I can't see anywhere in the book what is normal for that little sucker.
05gt 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

not sure what the led will do

but usually it will flash on off when the car is locked, go out when the car is unlocked, maybe flash rapidly if it is in passive mode, stay on steady if in valet mode, there are probably a few more

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic