icon

why so harsh on hifonics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thenumber1byrd 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
ive looked ever where online for a bench test review of these amps n havent found one n ive never tested any on a bench. i jus know they do over rate but not by some foolish peak rating like other brands n the kicker amps to me r over priced for there quality. but i agree w the aq amps. now take all the amps that u can find that have the same price as a hifonics {compensating for the over rated watts}. for example hifonics bxi2608d is rated at 2600 but i believe its good for 2200. i can get that amp for $389. what other brand can u think of around the same power and quality for that price
yup back at it
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
Easy the AQ2200d is the same price shipped, does rated power and is made from high quality parts and in the USA. Not to mention will take 16v charging if you got it. We benched the 2608 at my local shop and it barely did 2000rms. So yes it is highly overrated. I agree Kicker maybe a bit over priced, but they also have a really good warranty. I have never had one sub nor amp not fixed for free. Thats the plus of using local shops instead of internet market.
why so harsh on hifonics - Page 2 -- posted image.
thenumber1byrd 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
ok so uve named one and already agreed w u on the aq amps
yup back at it
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
Soundstream Picasso PCX2000D need i keep going? There are more that are way BETTER quality. Most at better quality are more expensive. Its like saying that my crappy cheap in every way car "x" has 400hp. Now try to buy a real well put together new 400hp car for 10K like this one cost. Cheap ass parts and put together in a 3rd world country vs. quality parts and better paid labor. Not to mention warranty. Sorry i will pay more and buy a quality piece. Even if i dont want to pay more there are better out there. Like the AQ line.
thenumber1byrd 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
whats ur thoughts on planet audio ap3000d or the jbl gto1400. im bought 2 buy 3 mtx thunder thin 10s n im not sure which 2 get. ive never owned a planet audio product and its been awhile since i owned jbl
yup back at it
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
I have not messed with the planet audio at all. But what i have heard of it is not that good and the fact they dont post viable info on there products ie. fuse ratings. JBL has had some good products, but again it has been a while since i have messed with any. I do know thin subs do not sound very good IMO. Must be geometry of the subs. When ever possible i mount a traditional sub even in if it means dropping to 1 conventional from 2 thin mount subs.
thenumber1byrd 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i dont car for the sound of them either but i have a 05 4dr silverado and i can squeeze 2.3 cubes out of a box behind the back seat but the box is 6.25 inches at its deepest point n i went w .5 mfd so that left me w 5.25 at the bottom for the motor but where the top of the motor on a 10 would b its like 4.5 n i cant find traditional subs that shallow
yup back at it
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
Just found this straight from PA. "Sorry but we do not give out or sell our service manuals for any of our product".
With that along with the lack of information on there products. i would have a really hard time buying into anything they have. Looks like marketing BS for a sub par product at its best.
thenumber1byrd wrote:
yeah i dont car for the sound of them either but i have a 05 4dr silverado and i can squeeze 2.3 cubes out of a box behind the back seat but the box is 6.25 inches at its deepest point n i went w .5 mfd so that left me w 5.25 at the bottom for the motor but where the top of the motor on a 10 would b its like 4.5 n i cant find traditional subs that shallow
Nope not much of a choice.
thenumber1byrd 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
lol yeah ill leave them alone then. im guessing ill go w the jbl again. i use 2 jam jbl 1200.1 back in the day. i held mississippi usac state record for a lil while using 2 of them on a lightning audio storm 15 back when they first came out. u know b4 rockford bought them out and turned them into a walmart brand lol. the storm was a beast of a sub
yup back at it
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
The new Planet Audio amps use a proprietary intergrated circuit in the class D driver stages.  This chip fails often when the amp suffers from shorted output transistors.  If the chip fails, it has to go back to planet for repair.  They will not sell the part to anybody.  We sell the amps and they will not sell me the part to repair it.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic