icon

adding a switch to aftermarket door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
efx26 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2014 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks...please bare with me, this for whatever reason just doesn't quite click on my brain. I made a few changes from what I understood. Is this what you meant.
catback wrote:
Clever and nicely drawn but problematic as you have noticed.
The way most installers go about this is 5 wiring a relay on the drivers unlock motor.
So go back to your original 2-relay setup but change the unlock wire from the blue to the blue/white. Then take your blue to the relay you'll add on the drivers unlock motor wire. The system rests at ground all around and the relay when triggered will isolate/break the driver and passenger door as well as send the +12v needed to unlock just the driver door.
adding a switch to aftermarket door locks - Page 4 -- posted image.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2014 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Isn't this essentially the same thing as before since now I'm just using the relay all the way on the right first, and moved my X or where the wire would not be connected to the other side? I can see both work in terms of function. I'm still not sure where the switch should be plugged into if this is correct. But I want to get the wiring right first before I think about the switch.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2014 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
Okay I didn't quite understand the changes suggested be the previous post in order to get the relays working and isolating both sides. So I have gone back to the original setup and made a few changes. I swapped my red and blue wires to make sure my grounds where a darker color and not the red just to keep things a bit color coded. I also added the switch as you see it here. I have not tested it yet, but figured this is the only way to make it work. If anyone has any suggestions or has a better way of doing it please free to correct me and post. If you also want to make your own diagram(s), I found this program be very good when it comes to diagramming. It's free so anyone can use it. Once you get the hang of it it's a really neat program for any sort of diagramming. It's mainly used for audio/video stuff, but it works fine for this sort of thing too. Just watch the videos on their site and you'll be up and running.
http://www.avsnap.com/
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2014 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
That's a type on the switch wire...it should just say to green. But I think you guys can see what it is.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2014 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
Won't work unless you ground the red at the switch.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2014 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
Ah! Thank you...that makes sense...
howie ll wrote:
Won't work unless you ground the red at the switch.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2014 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
Okay here's the corrected diagram...
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2014 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
Now that I think about it...I'm not so sure this will work...I think you do need the red from the same alarm output...This is how I fried my other one...anyway this is what I was trying to do.
efx26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2014 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
Just to clarify...if you take out the switch, everything works. I have that plugged in as is on my desk without the switch. Technically 12v from the alarm is no different than the ign 12 volts, and the other alarm had the internal relays. Here you would be shorting those two, so I guess it's back to the start on the switch side, but you can at least get the idea of what I have been trying to do.
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2014 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
You keep trying to divide the left and right with your cut (box with the X). The two sides remain joined as without driver priority. Then to add driver priority you cut the unlock wire of the driver side and put a relay in it's place. The relay fixes the cut by joining the two ends but on activation makes the cut and sends +12v to the unlock wire to unlock just the driver door.
I'll sketch a diagram in a little bit, I'm kind of preoccupied at the moment.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic