the12volt.com spacer
icon

Power folding mirrors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2016 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
lurch228 wrote:
No different than a door trigger is open then when door is opened it's a Negative or Positive.
Nope. Not true. Not the same thing when you put a diode in the trigger.
On a (-) trigger, Open with door closed switch system (like a GM with B+ at the bulbs and the door pin grounds the circuit when the door is opened.), with the door closed the trigger input at the device will be 12V with the door closed, and 0V with door open, referenced to chassis ground. We all agree.
Now insert a diode in the trigger, band towards pin switch. With door open, pin switch grounds the module. Again we agree.
But now with door closed, the trigger at the module will be 0V referenced to ground because the diode blocks the positive flow towards the meter, or the module. The input can never be "driven high" because the diode blocks it. Door open, or door closed the trigger at the module after the diode will always be 0V, referenced to chassis ground.
I'm pretty sure the diodes in the timer triggers will do the same thing: Rectify the signal so the timer only sees 0V or 12V, it won't see the pulse. The timer trigger MUST see the state change to trigger. It won't with a diode.
I was born at night, but not last night. You can put up 50 posts a day, and you'll still be wrong on this. Go breadboard it, and try it. You need a diversion from the keyboard anyway. Give the rest of us a break.
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2016 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
@howie II That would cause his problem if he hooked the 528T's to second ignition. When he was told to use ignition.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2016 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
OK, here's my original diagram from X years ago, others tried it and it worked. So there Dave, Ner nerPower folding mirrors - Page 6 -- posted image.
2F7_ign_mirror_fold.bmp
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2016 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
I like the way GM describes the circuits:
Hot in RUN and START
Hot in RUN (R/S installers treat this type as an ACCY circuit)
Hot in RUN and ACCY
Hot in START.
I have never heard the two "types" of IGN referred to as "IGN 1" and "IGN 2" on here. For the 5 years I've been here, if there are more than one circuit of a type, they get numbers. But the numbers have never defined the type.
The OP need a Hot in RUN and START. Or what we call "Ignition" on here.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2016 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
They never did officially but that's the way DEI always described them in Directechs and I've stuck with it.
Just like to me 85 is the NEG side of the coil although that's irrelevant unless there's an inbuilt diode because that's the ISO convention although we always seem to use 30 as the output when that actually denotes battery + input!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2016 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
It can also be very confusing to newbie/amateur installers as to why there are multiple ACC (Honda) ignition and starter outputs (most Japanese!)
We might know the reason but try explaining load sharing and cold start boost.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2016 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
davep. wrote:
lurch228 wrote:
No different than a door trigger is open then when door is opened it's a Negative or Positive.
Nope. Not true. Not the same thing when you put a diode in the trigger.
On a (-) trigger, Open with door closed switch system (like a GM with B+ at the bulbs and the door pin grounds the circuit when the door is opened.), with the door closed the trigger input at the device will be 12V with the door closed, and 0V with door open, referenced to chassis ground. We all agree.
Now insert a diode in the trigger, band towards pin switch. With door open, pin switch grounds the module. Again we agree.
But now with door closed, the trigger at the module will be 0V referenced to ground because the diode blocks the positive flow towards the meter, or the module. The input can never be "driven high" because the diode blocks it. Door open, or door closed the trigger at the module after the diode will always be 0V, referenced to chassis ground.
I'm pretty sure the diodes in the timer triggers will do the same thing: Rectify the signal so the timer only sees 0V or 12V, it won't see the pulse. The timer trigger MUST see the state change to trigger. It won't with a diode.
I was born at night, but not last night. You can put up 50 posts a day, and you'll still be wrong on this. Go breadboard it, and try it. You need a diversion from the keyboard anyway. Give the rest of us a break.
Change in continuity is a change in state!
Electrical voltages, or potential differences, are always measured between two points. So at its simplest, a "circuit ground" is the designated reference point against which other potentials in the circuit are measured; it is assigned a potential of zero volts.
If the device is electrically isolated from the outside world, e.g., a battery-powered flashlight in a plastic case, then the 0-volt reference point is arbitrary; it really has no ground point. But if the circuit connects to exposed metal parts or a conductive case, that's always the ground point. (Or "earth" in the UK.)
The 528T is providing some potential on the trigger wire to sense the connection to ground internally allowing for a measurable flow. Does the 528T trigger when you connect the trigger to chassis ground?
Yes it does!
The diode will block +12v potential from getting in but not from getting out in any given orientation.
You can't measure a path to ground without some amount of potential.
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2016 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
@howie II Class is in session! LOLPower folding mirrors - Page 6 -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2016 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Too old for these new fangled transisters.
It's 11:30 and though I've managed to wangle a late start (98 miles today and out of 3rd. gear once, that's London for you BEFORE the schools go back).
I'm about to go to bed with a good old Sci-Fi book!
lurch228 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2016 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lurch228
@davep. You think you know but unless you really know you are not helping anyone. You are just adding nonsense posts that have no real world benefit to what is being addressed here. So give yourself a break and get back to learning by reading not typing in others posts.
And as howie II says Ner ner Dave Power folding mirrors - Page 6 -- posted image.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic