icon

amp and sub question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slick 5050 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
I have an older Hermosa 350 amp which I'm running my 6x9's off of. The amp is a 2 channel amp. I now want to add my 10" sub. Do I just run it of the 1 channel or do I run it + from channel 1 and - from channel 2? I heard you have to be careful so can someone give me detailed instructions and the best way to hook up the sub?
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
I wasn't able to find any info online about that amp. What you're referring to is called "Tri-Mode", where you are able to run 2 channels stereo and a bridge at the same time. You can contact L.A. Sound directly at lasoundusa@msn.com and ask them if your amp is stable with a Tri-mode wiring scheme.
Is your 10" sub a Single Voice Coil or Dual Voice Coil? And what is the ohm rating (most 2/4 channel amps are only stable with a 4ohm mono bridge).
I tried uploading a diagram, but got error 500. If you would like an example give me your e-mail address and I'll send you one
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
slick 5050 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  
i believe the sub is a single. can't i just run it from one of the channels?
thomasbutler 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 3:18 AM / IP Logged  
WIth a 2 channel amp it wouldnt be good hooking a sub up to it if you are going to run highs also.  If you want the sub to have bass your 6x9's would also be getting the same bass.  And they will blow if you want to run a sub and 6x9's on 1 amp you need a 4channel amp.  If you get a 4 channel amp you woul;d hook it up to the side that has lph nob or adjuster and the 6x9's to the side where it has hpf adjuster.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 3:23 AM / IP Logged  
It depends on the ohms. 9 out of 10 2 or 4 channel amps are 2ohm stereo stable, 4ohm mono stable. If you present an ohm load that is too low, you can damage the amp.
Yes, if your 6x9's are 4ohm speakers as well as the sub then you could run it from 1 of the channels. What you would get (assuming your 6x9's would still be hooked up to the amp as well) is 1 channel running at 2ohms and 1 at 4ohms. It's not really an optimum setup, but it would work.
Thomas beat me this time!
Keep in mind that you would be sending a full signal with higher frequencies to you sub (mids and highs) besides just bass, so it may affect the performance of the sub (you could even damage it under certain conditions). So it is a possible possible setup, but you wont get the sound that you want and you would be running the risk of damaging your equipment, at least IMO. Is getting a 4-channel amp or a dedicated Mono Class D amp an option?
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic