icon

MTX Thunder 8000’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
Ok Ive decided to run my two MTX 8000's with a one Alpine V12 2/1 channel Amp ( MRV-1507 ) and a one farad batery caps. what gauge wire should I run?? I was thinking of 0 because that woudl be better...... I have two Mtx 6000 12" subs for sale, Brand New, I dont want to use them because I think itd be dumb to run two different kinds of subs??? any opinions??? My car is a 1994 honda accord.... trunk space is limited...does anyone have any experience with the 8000's?? any install pics?? Im lookng for ideas..... I dont want to spend alot of cash to put this in, I have pretty much everything I need except for the wire and RCA's, Amp kit, all that jazzz...... but Im looking for opinions!! thanks!!! peace- Selah
brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
I would run a 4 guage feed to that amp. That should be plenty.
Brian
Sight & Sound Car Stereo
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
the 6000s sound nicer than the 8000s, but arent quite as loud...I wouldnt mix subs cuz you will get some cancellation...personally I would run with the 6000s, but I had a bad experience with the 8000s...if you do go with 6000s you have to be a little conservative with the gains on the 1507...there is a potential for you to blwo them if you get gain happy...
honestly I would run 1/0 because that will allow room for upgrades in the future...brian was right, a 4ga wire would feed that amp, but if you add a second amp that draws much power you are screwed again...
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
and what was your bad experience with the 8000's?? Im havin a dealer put it in..... he said itll run about 1000-1200 I dont get this because I went somewhere else, and he said he could hook me up with two rockford He2's two 500w rockford amps and 1 farad battery caps. and wire all everything installed for like 1300 .... does that sound right....for it to be 1200 all the guy is doing is building a custom box... and getting an namp wiring kit and 1/0 wires and a yellow top battery, I think hes gong to put in a circut breaker in the front and a larger alternator cable... and I think we are going to go with silver battery terminals ... I cant remmember... but does that sound right or is there a cheaper way to do this?? from what he said he would be doing, I think I could prob have one of my friends put the same shiz in... for next to nothing... but this is the first system I am hooking up so I have not too much of an idea about waht I am doing..... the guy I bought the subs from was running both 6000's and 8000's... thats not good right?? so your saying I should go with the 6000's??? when you ay they are not as loud, by how much??? I do want it to be sounding great but I also want people to know I am coming , seen? so just get back to me bout that.. thanks much.... peace, love and guidance.... Selah
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

to me,thats a rip off..you concider building your own?

course not many ppl are mechanically inclinde like others...but isnt building your own system like part of it.  Also if somethhing goes wrong...you'll know what to do.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
yeah thats waht I want to do, I have no Idea how to build a box for the subs.... where do I start??? I would definately like to hook it all up myself, well most of it, as much as I can... with out blowing up my car.... Im good with electrical and carpentry stuff... but when you put it into a car , its a different language to me... what kind of box would be best for the 6000's??? 8000's ?? how would I get/make plans to build one??? and which subs would be better to run?? thanks.....! Selah
wizzle 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
what type of sound are you going for?  what type of music do you mainly listen too.  again, i agree with Purds.  Run 1/0 power wire.  I've dealt with mtx for years, and I also prefer the sound of the 6000's over the 8000's.  And (of course depending on the enclosure,spl or sq) there will not be too much of a noticeable difference in loudness.  the 6000's seem to have a warmer better sq sound, to me anyways.  But, i have a feeling that you are not so much into the sound quality, but more wanting some good boom.  If that is the case, run the 8000's.  stick with the mtx.  With a 1507 running it, go for the better sounding speaker.  There is not to much bad about the HE2's, but they won't sound as good as either the 6000's or 8000's.   
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
I am going for boom, but I also want it to be smooth... Im thinking that since the box specs for both of them are pretty close, Im going to run the 8000's for a few weeks and then try the 6000's see which ones I like best?? I listen to alot of reggae, and rap, they ususally music with big basslines.... I will be running 1/0 wire, thats a given lol from what I here that amp could power all four of them if I bridged it right.... thats another question, the kid I I bought them from ran all four, he had the two 8000's and a 6000 in one box and another 6000 in a box he kept up front..... thats not good right?? I mean Im no exprt but I dont think you should be running two different kinds of subs with different specs and stuff.... I mean theyre pretty muich the same with box specs but overall not... theyre two different subs.... I dont want this system to sound like sh*t...Id like the bass to be heavy but not disguisting.... so is running one set a few weeks then running the others a good Idea or no?? what are sq or spl enclosures??? thankx..... Im still looking for someone to put it in....but I think I might have found someone so its good and hed prob do it for next to nothing... Peace love and guidance, thanks for the help.... Selah
Twingo 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2003 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
You can run two types of subs but it is a very good idea to make sure they're isolated if you do.  Tyhat way you don;t get any ill effects form one set if you turn them off.  If i was testing two subs i would only listen to them for about 20 seconds or less one day, then go back the next day and listen to the others for the same time.  That way you dont get used to the type of sound from one or the other and you will still remember how good they sound.  The 6000's will give you a good sound and if you really want some quality with the loud sound i would suggest a ported enclosure, if you want really good quality sound alone go with sealed and ifyou want hella loud go bandpass.  The bandpass won't let you hear any distortion coming out of your sub tho, so if you use it watch out for blowing your stuff.
wizzle 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
an spl enclosure is used for more output (sound/loudness), but sacrifices sq, or sound quality.  if you are going for boom with sound quality, run the 8000's.  I would do a sealed enclosure (but that can be very open to debate) and those puppies will slam cleanly.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic