icon

hmm...What to do?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
troysnx 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  

Well as some of you may know I'm slowly, but surely building up my first audio system, in my first car.  I have a Panasonic 903u deck, a pair of 6.5 type r components in the door and kicker 5.25's in the rear shelf.  Now I'm left with building the deep bass.  I had a few thoughts on this but still am unsure what I want/need since I have had no previous experience.

I was thinking about 2 - 8inch subs and a 12, or I was thinking 2 - 12 inch.  I want some balance to my car and I thought maybe the 2 8's could provide some low bass, but the single twelve could hit the very low notes.  Or is it better to go with just 2 12's.  I have a very limited amount of space.

I'm looking for loudness, I do not need GREAT sq but I don't want anything sounding like crap.  What would you suggest?

R.Troy
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

How bout two fosgate 10"

http://thezeb.com/caraudio/rockfordfosgatesubs.html#he2

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
JamesRH 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
A simple rule of thumb when installing subs...keep them all the same size, as you can actually loose cerain sounds if you have different size subs running, cause an 8 and a 12 create different size waves and at certain frequencys those waves ill match and creat tones that are louder than normal and sometimes cancel eachother out creating low level tones....In general will not sound good.
troysnx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  

Would 10's be big enough to hit the low notes though?  I want speakers that can shake the car when needed, and if 10's can do that then I would defintally look into that.

I don't make alot of money fast, but I have no problem waiting and saving up if buying more expensive things is the way to go.

And I just measured my cars trunk area. 36inch x 13inch x 24 inch (w x h x d)  And I don't car if my box takes up every last space I got.

R.Troy
Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
In my opinion,
Stay away from the 8's, I've done it before and I wasnt happy. Over the years I have learn't that 2-12's are the way to go.
JamesRH 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
36x13x24....thats a fair amount of room...about 6 cubic feet....get some 12's and run a ported box....
Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
10's go pretty. low..if you make the box right...hell few guys made a two 6.5 in sub hit 29 cycles....there was even a video on it.
Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
Oh i run two american pro 8" subs in a ported box in my ma's car-space reasons...they do ok to get the bass outta a song...but they dont like to move much air...like the air that you can feel. If ya got the room two 12's would be the way...I have series 1 rockfords...at 100w rms..tuned right..they hit dam good.
troysnx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  

Well I have never made a box before so I probably couldn't build anything really special, What do you guys think about a box like this:

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&item=3041909406&category=14945

Are these guysfull of it, or is that a really nice box.  I will have to do some re-measuring to see if 15inches tall can fit, I just took a quick look with a yard stick last time so maybe this box could fit. 

R.Troy
Maxst 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  

These are alot better than that ebay one...ebay one the two subs look like they are in the same camber...thats a nono.

http://thezeb.com/caraudio/subzone_universal_sub_boxes.html

Its under vented enclosures.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic