icon

Alpine 15'' or 2 of Alpine 10''

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skyRyder 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, i need some good advise, i just reading all the stuff and i wondering that,  the different between an ALPINE subwoofer and 2 of the ALPINE 10"  which would give deeper bass and faster response?... people said that 15" is ait slower response than the smaller size however it louder and deeper bass?

what do you think? anyone has any experiences in these type of situation?.. coz i am thinking of buying subwoofer this week...

JamesRH 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  

When people say a bigger sub has slower responce or plays different bass notes, that are talking out of their ass...All subs create the same sounds and peform the same way, its your amp that may not be able to control the responce if its not powerful enought, the only difference you get from different sizes is the amount of SPL produced and thats purely due to cone area...I say go big or go home, and would get the 15, but 10's will probably be a better choice if your going for everyday driving

wizzle 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
well, maybe i can talk out of my ass for a minute.  A 15 DOES provide a slower response then a 10 .  The larger the mass of the cone (or dome diaphragm), the slower the response time.  This makes perfect sense b/c the heavier anything is, the more work is required to move it.  don't believe me, check out the MECP manuals, and read it for youself.  all subs DO NOT create the same sounds.  How is a 6" sub going to hit the same frequency response as an 18" sub.  the amp sure has a lot to do with it, but it is the speaker playing the sound, not the amp.  The amp is producing an analog signal for out ears to interpret as music.  skyRyder, choose the size of your woofer according to the music that you listen do.  A heavy metal fan?  go with the 10's they more accurately reproduce the bass drum.  a hip-hop fan.  Go with the 15 b/c of the deeper bass response, thus a deeper tone.   
Pharaoh 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
Put the 15 in a sealed box... like my 2 Soundstream 15s are, and they can be tighter than hell. Most people can't believe I have 15s when they hear it.
Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 5:38 AM / IP Logged  
Wizzle is right
spl/luxy 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 5:50 AM / IP Logged  

I would have to agree with wizzle(and i like talking out my ass) the fact is not all sub sizes play the same notes, and therefore should be chosen according to your music and ear preference. Hence if you want good tight bass i'd go with 10's (this is a general rule of thumb though) deep droney bass go the 15 or good all round sub would have to be the 12's. You generally will need more power to effectively run a 15 than you would a 10.

Please note: You can with correct box design get a 15 to play nice tight notes but it will not come anywhere near a 10!

Australia's Loudest Street Max 3-4 Car Ever!
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 6:22 AM / IP Logged  
I have to agree. Not all subs will hit the same frequencies, let alone react at the same time. Look at the different frequency responses for any 10, 12, and 15 on the market. I have yet to find 2 different size subs with the same specs (now, I am talking about "Quality" maufacturers, not junk that throws specs out there for the hell of it because it looks good)
10's are great for quick tight bass. 12's are a good "all-around" sub. 15's are great for a low bass engine.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
JamesRH 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
when looking at the Alpine type R's there is a playable difference of six hertz....very neglagable...and subs are built to handel their own mass...hence 10s and 15 dont have things like same magnet, voice coil or spider...they come back to rest at very close time ratio...only underpowering them can cause that to be a problem as the amps job is not only to move, but to stop moving the sub. what i was trying to put through that if SkyRyder already has an amp and does not want to change it...make sure it can handle to power needs. Ive had Type R 10's and 15's..i listen to alot of drum and bass and the 10's played ever note extemely well.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
That sounds a little better then your first post...
You would need an amp that can reliably push at least 500 x 2 or 1000 x 1 at the correct impodence to properly push (2) 15" Type R's.
You would need an amp that can reliably push at least 300 x 2 or 600 x 1 at the correct impodence to properly push (2) 10" Type R's.
And I agree, always make sure your existing amp can handle the subs that you plan to add or change. Otherwise, you should consider choosing different subs or a different amp as well.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
bigballer 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
i would get 2 12's instead of 2 10's
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic