icon

Alpine 15'' or 2 of Alpine 10''

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Pharaoh 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
Saying he 10 will move faster doesn't seem right to me. The 15 can move just as fast. It has more mass, but that just means it will take more power and a larger magnet to get it to move as fast.
Take cars for example. Larger cars can out accelerate smaller cars... they just need a lot more power to do it.
But, as a general rule, 10s seem to be punchier.
skyRyder 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

Thank everybody... and speciall JamesRH Alpine 15'' or 2 of Alpine 10'' - Page 2 -- posted image. 

It does mean i dont want to change or stick to my amp i got, at moment i love this amp to dead, i might look for ALPINE MRV 1507 as my cousin, or i bought back my MRV 757, i bought 2 of the same amps (the previous owner used to run it for 2 of 12" subby) and i got it off him like less than half price... it does a great job with my cousin 12" VR ALPINE subby..... anyway... wat i have to do is decide which subby is better between and Phoenix gold 15" and Type R 15"  .....

your explaination is clearly stated the different between 10 and 15" response....

So how do u like the Type R 15"  JamesRH?... wat sort of amp u running off?

wizzle 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  

Pharaoh, i see where you are coming from, but it is to two different things.  When you are talking about the automobile analogy, the car is dealing with acceleration.  A speaker is dealing with response time, sometimes in the many thousands a second (higher the Hz, more per second).  to go a little bit more detailed about it, we are talking about the mass of the cone, or the density of it.  meaning, the weight of the cone will dictate the speed at which it can respond.  So, comparing the same model woofers (and in some cases, different model) but different sizes, a 15, just by surface area alone, will be heavier than a ten.  thus, it takes the 15 a misicule amount more time to respond.  phew

JamesRH 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
how do i like the 15's.....I loved the sound of the 10's i had...the 15's....they are Freakin loud....thats about all i can say...they are built for SPL...they dont have much range, but then i am running them in tuned ported SPL spec boxes...so never really heard them sealed up....im running them with Phoenix Gold Titanium series amps ( ZX ti Series)
Nhspike 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  

My single 15" works for me, and it's not that great of a speaker either.

A freind just installed a 2x10 set-up in his car and is not happy with it.

He spent more money than I did, and he can't get it to make the sounds mine does.

Our musical style is varied, anything from classical to Korn and Notorious B.I.G.

Perhaps the real answer is to have both?

Properly crossed over/filtered, I would imagine one could have a 2x10 set-up, and a single 15, and still not be breaking the bank.

Ain't this stuff fun?

hehehe

spikey
'94 Lincoln, Sony CDX-CA810X, Pioneer TS-A1664/TS-A6963, MTX Blue Thunder PRO50X4, Kenwood KAC-7201, JL Audio 15W4 Sub
skyRyder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

lol.... JamesRH is right, 15" will get loud and in it way!!...

Nhspike what sort of subby have ya got? ...  kick comp? heard they pretty good... my cousin who had the alpine vr 12" in his bmw, somehow the sub not giving enough bass, so a friend came over and he had JL 15" .. and then we all sat inside his car to listen to the music and his new JL15" .... i really cant tell the model number ... it really loud and pound very strong, but he like my cousin alpine vr12" ...so we took his JL15" out from the box....

mate!!! the magnet is only half of the size of the alpine... hehe and just has a really big cone and can run less power than alpine.. it took only 250 w (i think) coz i saw his little kicker amp on the size, he told me that amp 400w max...  he also has Wega sub too... anyway my cousin just wondering ... which one would you guy think it will give nice deep bass and SQ?,......

thank guys Alpine 15'' or 2 of Alpine 10'' - Page 2 -- posted image.

Nhspike 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  

skyRyder,

It's the Kicker comp, but the cheaper (99 bucks on sale) version, not the comp VR, which is supposed to be much better... dunno about that, as I've not listened to them anywhere that would allow an A/B comparison...

But, with the amount of wattage I'm throwing at it, it prolly won't take the abuse for long anyhow, and I'll get a JL or something to replace it, just for fun.

:O)

spikey
'94 Lincoln, Sony CDX-CA810X, Pioneer TS-A1664/TS-A6963, MTX Blue Thunder PRO50X4, Kenwood KAC-7201, JL Audio 15W4 Sub
Pharaoh 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
DO NOT mix 2 10s and a 15. Ive seen people try and it NEVER sounds right.
skyRyder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

Let's talk about Building boxes.... in the Specifications box for 15" subwoofer recommended sealed volume 1.3 to 2.5 ft^3 ........

if i build 2 ft^3 box for the 15" subby .. does it mean it sound tighter than the 1.3ft^3 ?  wat is the different, can anyone explain plz..... i heard my cousin said, the bigger the volume (close to the max of the recommendation) give the better sound?

c.c. 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2003 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
normally a smaller box will be tighter, but at the expense of low bass responce (like below 45-40 hz).  smaller boxes also tend to be a little boomy because of that.  a bigger box can give a little more spl down low, but the overall clarity might be compromised.  my two cents on the 15 or the 10's, i have never heard a 15 that sounds like to tens in terms of quickness, and i have never heard 2 10's sound like a 15 or 2 in terms of SPL!!  15" for SPL, 10's for clean SQ
toyota echo...perfect sound named vehicle
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic