breaking in new subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2003 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  
c.c. where are u from?
I think there is a good 12 step program available somewhere in your area to help you get off the crackpipe...do u even think when you are posting???
where did you get your car theory? do you honestly believe that if I were to buy my little old grandma a 2003 Corvette, and she never drove it faster than 60 mph, that if I took that same car that she drove every day til she died, it wouldnt go over 60 mph?
if you think that to be truth, on top of DYohns bridge, I happen to have a bit of oceanfront property for sale in Montana...
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2003 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
Ketel22,
     When I bought my Kappa 12's, they didn't come with any specific recommendations for break in, but I'm not sure about Reference Series or anything like that. I would just run them quietly for a few days just so they can shake off the proverbial packing grease.
Cary
c.c. 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2003 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/lowpower.pdf

:)

toyota echo...perfect sound named vehicle
c.c. 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2003 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
Blazer, i have  2 10" reference series...and they dont have any break-in procedures either.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2003 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

Precisely!  Did you read the article? 

It states exactly what I've been trying to say: if used properly (i.e.: NOT driven into distortion and clipping) a low power amplifier WILL NOT damage a loudspeaker system.  If driven BEYOND ITS LIMITS due to inexperience, lack of care, not understanding how to set up an amplifer, or just plain idiocy, an amplifier driven into clipping MAY damage a loudspeaker by exceeding the voice coil's power handling limits.  This is what JLB says in the linked article.  Also, if you read the article carefully, you will note that they state damage due to a clipping amp is more likely to occur in high frequency drivers.  This is because they are designed to operate at relatively low power levels and their voice coils are more easily damaged.  Large woofers, on the other hand, have large voice coils with lots of ventilation and many may be driven to 200% or 300% rated heat capacity before damage will occur.

NO WHERE does JBL or any other manufacturer state that a low power amplifier will damage a loudspeaker when the amp is used properly.  They simply state the fact that it is easier for an idiot to damage a loudspeaker by driving a low power amp into clipping without realizing what they are doing.

Therefore, JBL, a well-known amplifier manufacturer, concludes with "buy a bigger amp" (give them more money) when the real solution is to use amps (and all audio equipment) as they are intended... and THEN if you need a larger amp, by all means get one.

c.c. 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2003 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  

if you state that the "10 - 150" watt rating is for sensitivity, then how could the manufacturer of the speaker attain that range with only 1 watt? it can't!  I did not say that if you only use a small amount of power, it will damage a speaker...   and damging a speaker by using only one watt...i dont see where i said that either.  per the article that you posted, which i dont fully believe, your amplifier may be clipping, and you wouldn't notice it.  if you have a 10wrms x 2 amp, and you are trying to get 20 watts out of it, its going to damage a set of speakers capapble of handling 50wrms.  on the other hand, if you use a 100wrms x 2, and only use 20 watts, then the speaker should be just fine. why?  because the first amp would be clipping, but the second could handle all signals with power to spare. but who uses 20% power?. (exception is SQ, maybe), if this is "what you were trying to say", then i have no arguments with that, but its sure didnt sound like it to me.

c.c. 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2003 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

hey, big turds, blow me.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2003 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

No, I never said a rating like "10-150 wrms" in a loudspeaker had anything to do with sensitivity.  I stated it generally specifies the minimum power input recomended to attain full range frequency response, and the maximum power input the voice coil can handle.  Sensitivity is completely different, which I tried to explain.

Now go back and read your first post.  What you said was completely wrong about a car not being able to perform to its fullest if operated at low speed, and you stated a loudspeaker will do the same.  This is why Big Purds thought you must be on the pipe.  You also stated that too little wattage will harm a speaker.  You said exactly that, and that is exactly wrong.

Bottom line is it does not appear that you understand the concepts involved.  I suggest you need to more fully understand electrical and acoustic theories.

c.c. 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  

umm...no, i dont need to "more fully understand" anything, and the whole car thing wasn't even brought up by me...did i mention i am a certified car audio installer?  i think i know about electrics.  let me ask you a question...what is the millivolt drop across a 19.1 inch 8 gauge wire ( HC shunt) with 30 amps running across it?

to add to that, by extended period of time, i dont mean a trip to the nearest state, i mean driving for more than 6 years and never going above 45 mph, like my friends grandmothers car!  she lives in a rural city, and only goes to and from work, 2 miles away.  this car would not do more than 90 on the highway, (its a 96 ford taurus).  and i have seen this many a time. 

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2003 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged  
you pro's are funny!
Quad L Handyman services
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic