icon

mono Amp Specs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2003 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I know I have been posting like crazy, but I am in the middle of a complete system overhahl and it has been about three years since I have purchased car audio products.  My question is this: I have having trouble picking out a mono amp to run my 2 Kicker  S12L7 dual 4 ohm subs.  Amplifier prices are throwing my judgment off.  Take a moment and imagine looking at mono amps without seeing any prices.  What would be some specs that would set quality amps apart from junk amps? (e.g. s/n ratio, thd%, etc...)  What would you all look for?
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2003 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
Throw the spec sheet out the window, they will never tell you how loud or how good it will sound. If you want the best perfomance, find yourself a US built amp that is designed and engineed to operate at 1ohm mono, not just stable to 1ohm mono. This amplifier will make it's power at 12 - 14.4volts, the lower the rating on the voltage with the same or greater power than an amp at 14.4volts, the better. The power rating should not be made at 1000hz, anybody can make power at 1000hz. Have a look at Orion, Eclipse, Diamond, Soundstream, Kicker, JL Audio and the like. Run away, far away from Sony (friends don't let friends buy Sony). If these amps are a little too pricey, consider a made in songakoreatiawanapore amp like the Audiobahn, Lightning Audio, Concept and whole pile of others. These amps are pretty good at producing lots of power, not quite as clean and hard hitting as most of the US built amps, but they do a good job and sell for less $$$.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2003 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
how do I know if an amp is engineered to run at 1 ohm, rather than an amp that happens to be 1 ohm stable? Do you know of any specifically?
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2003 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Orion, Lightning Audio, Soundstream, Kicker, JL, Planet Audio, Concept, Crossfire......Good enough for a start?
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2003 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
Definitely. I sincerely appreciate your help.  I have looked at some amps designed by those companies.  I've been considering the Kicker KX1200.1, the Orion XTR PRO 1000, the Crossfire VR1000D.  I've also been seriously considering the Memphis MC1000D, and the Diamond Audio D5 1200.1.  They are all in my price range.  I am just so nervous because I know that if I run an amp at 1 ohm that is not designed to run at 1 ohm, I am going to fry the thing and be out the money.  That is why I want to be extra careful when choosing an amp.   
forbidden 
Posted: November 19, 2003 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Dude, the Crossfire is an awesome amplifier. I would also have a look at the new Orion amps as well as Planet Audio.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2003 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
If you're not too interested in the names, the JBL BP1200.1 is a good choice as well. They are 1ohm stable and will produce 1200 x 1 @ 1 or 2 ohms. I've installed them before and they are a good choice. But if you can afford better go for it (these are a good bang for the buck though).
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2003 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
You might look at the new line of JBL amps like the BPX1100.1. I will give you 1100 watts at either 1, 2, or 4 ohms. Here is a web site... http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1653
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
si90lude 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
if not too pricey check out the alpine v12 mono amps. some people dont like the digital processing but they deliver very accurate bass response with very flexible adjustments
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
The v12 amps look nice, but they are not 1 ohm stable, which is what I need.  Anyway, I've made my decision.  I narrowed my choices down to the Orion 1200D, the Crossfire VR1000D, the Kicker KX1200.1, the Diamond Audio D5 1200.1, the Memphis MC1000D, and the Alphasonik PMA800D.  I crossed off the Orion, the Diamond Audio, and the Alphasonik because they in the end they were costing more than I really wanted to spend.  I crossed off the Memphis because it didn't really offer that many features.  In the end I was left with the Crossfire and the Kicker.  I am choosing the Kicker because it offers more power for the same amount of money as the Crossfire and it matched my subs, which is always a good thing in my opinion.  I thank veryone for all their input, and I'll let ya'll know if achieve my goal of blowing my face out my ass!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic