icon

Mounting faceplate separate from headunit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soup 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
I have a DEH-P6200 Pioneer, and I was thinking of mounting my faceplate seperate from the CD unit itself. The only thing I am having trouble with, is connecting the wires between the head unit and the face plate. I cant take pictures of the actual connectors because my digital camera is broken, but I am worried about just soldering wires on the connectors. I am wondering if there is anyplace to buy these connectors? Has anyone ever attempted this before?
Haldol 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  

It has been done before by a guy I know named David Wood. His MX-6 made it to two publications, the one of interest is Auto Sound and Security, February or March issue of 2000 (I think). He installed the face of a Panasonic digital processor in the rear-view mirror housing of the car. The brain was under the passenger seat. The housing was fabricated to fit the face using a minimal amount of ¼ inch MDF and some polyester filling (Bondo).

To my knowledge, from what I remember when he built this, he did NOT have an extension cable and had to physically solder the connections. This of course, is very possible and will work so as long as you are careful when soldering and make sure only one wire for each spot (no solder spilling over to the next).

I have done something as tedious as this: I had a friend with a 1994 Clarion entry level unit and the cd mechanism went bad. The 1994 cd mechansim was soldered to the circuit board. The 1995 one that I replaced had a "plug" or rather described as a "clamp" that held the ribbon cable in place. I had to solder that cable to the circuit board of the 1994 unit.

You may want to look for electronic shops in your area. We have one here in Monroe, LA that does tech work like make new DIN cables or modify cables and stuff like that. You could find one and ask them to make a cable in the length you need and have the number of wires you would need. That would simplify the process some. You may also can get them to do the soldering if you aren’t skilled enough. They perhaps can even go as far as fabricating a plug to work with this.

Good luck and post your results. Show some pictures along the way! I want to see this.

soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

Hey thanks for the responds, I had heard of the guy that put the faceplate inside the mirror, I have heard of a few actually, thanks for the specifics, I am going to do some searches and see if I can find that install.

I have been doing a lot of research, and it seems as though it should be doable with my deck. I guess a lot of people say it cant bedone because of the low voltage and low aperage that the faceplate uses. While searching, on one of the pages, a guy talked about doing this with a pioneer 6500 i believe it was. My cable length only need to be about 3 feet, so it should be fine.
I am worried about the soldering, I have done tons of soldering in my time, but the needle on the soldering wand I have is much too big for the connectors, and it is pretty small. Is there a special type of wand to use when soldering such small wires?
I was thinking about going down to some electronic stores, but I don't think it will help. I am going to try, but I dont live in a big area.
I also dont want to solder, because if for some reason I cant extend the length of the connection by more than a foot, then it would be hard to reverse

Guess ill see what I can find locally, and if not, maybe ill just take the chance, and try to solder

Haldol 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

You may end up having to buy another gun but you should be able to go to the nearest Radio Shack and find a precision soldering iron. As for low voltage and amperage problems by extending the cable, I don’t think that will be an issue. Dave extended his a good 6 or 7 feet in that car (I remember the nights he spent doing it). I wish I had the issue with him in it… The only one I have is his latest in the Feb 03. issue of Car Audio and Electronics.

3 feet should be know problem. I have seen it done on a BMW before… a crew in California relocated the car’s computer display that gave info like mpg, and miles to empty, temperature, etc. to the center console/armrest of the car (from the dash where it was originally).

With the right iron, you should be able to solder this with no problem. If you don’t live far from Monroe, LA, come by!!

soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the offer, if I was in LA I would.. I am in Canada unfortunately :)

I decided to go through some old soldering bits, and i found a nice thin needle tip, and it fits in my new variable temp wand... so I am going to pick up some wire, and solder this today, I have a battery and everything inside so that I can bench test it. I will borrow a digital and post pics tonight. I might even get started on the enclosure today

Thanks for the advice.

Simplemitch 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

Instead of soldering to the connectors, unsolder the connector from the board and place your wires in the holes on the PCB where the connector was, and then do the same in the faceplate (those are actually surface mount, but same concept). This way you can restore it to original if you ever decide to. I've done several similar projects and this is the most solid and least destructive. Just be sure you get each wire to the proper terminal!!

Also if you want a good, cheap iron get a Weller WP35 they run about $35-45. Use an ST6 tip. about $6

Mitchell Whitney, Installer/technician
Mainstreet A/V

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic