icon

prevent speakers from blowing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
satchmoe27 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
I wanted to know if their would be any way that I can keep my sub (sony L121P5) from blowing. I have a 400s Rockford amp and just my one sub hooked up to it. The amp is rated at a rms of 400 at 4 ohms. However my speaker is only rated at 350 rms. So is their a way that I can put a fuse on the sub? If so how do I go about finding the rating. Or maybe a circuit breaker that resets automatically. Please let me know if their are any of methods to save me from buying another sub.
screamon deamon
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
U should be fine, the amp is probably rated at 14.4 volts.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
cavyman 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
You should not be having a problem with the sub blowing.  The sub is rated to handle 350w RMS and 700w peak.  The amp you have running to the sub is rated to push out 400w x 1 RMS  It should have a peak rating at about 800, but I dont think that you would ever hit the peak wattage of the amp.  Like I said the sub handles up to 700 watts, it should not be blowing.  I would say contact the manufacturer or the person that sold the sub to you.
1 plus 1 equals 2
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
You will be fine. Just back down over do the gain so you wont blow it( I would leave any bass boost features on the amp or cd player off also). In fact you might be getting cleaner sound with a higher wattage amp because it dosnt have to work as hard to drive you sub if you have the gain set properly!prevent speakers from blowing -- posted image.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

The best advice for "keeping a speaker from blowing" is

1.  do not overpower it (I agree with the other posters that in your setup you are probably fine)

2. make sure it is installed in the proper size and type enclosure.

Simplemitch 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

1. You will be fine. Just back down over do the gain so you wont blow it( I would leave any bass boost features on the amp or cd player off also). In fact you might be getting cleaner sound with a higher wattage amp because it dosnt have to work as hard to drive you sub if you have the gain set properly!prevent speakers from blowing -- posted image.

2.The best advice for "keeping a speaker from blowing" is  do not overpower it (I agree with the other posters that in your setup you are probably fine)

#1 is correct. 2 is WAY off (except about the box, thats excellent advice). An oversized amp is DEFINATELY safer for a sub. The lower the gain is, the lower the THD, and consequentially, the less thermal damage to the voice coil. And again as #1 stated, leave all EQ enhancements OFF, they just reintroduce the distortion. Just be sure your gain has been properly set.

Mitchell Whitney, Installer/technician
Mainstreet A/V
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

Over-powering any speaker is dangerous.  THD has nothing to do with thermal damage, unless it is very gross (like 20%.)  Please read my long post about loudspeaker power ratings.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=25066&KW=loudspeaker

I guess it's time for my tirade about the myth of under-power... OH, and here's a link for you from another professinal:  http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
adjust the gain down for sure    you can over power a sub greatly as long as its clean power
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Simplemitch 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  

On Dyohns comment, i must disagree...  First of all THD does affect thermal capacity as the peaks of a distorted signal (negative arc AND positive arc) are a flat line pulse of DC, which is like effectively hooking the coil to a battery. Heat is created plain and simple, much like the coil (filament) in a light bulb. As for it being "grossly" distorted, take a look at the average schmoes self installed set-up; Head unit bass=maxed, amp gain=maxed, amp EQ/bass boost=maxed..... i would call that grossly distorted, indeed. And secondly, an "overpowering" amplifier isnt ACTUALLY supplying too much wattage if the gain is set properly. E.G., a 350 watt sub on a 400 W amp thats around half gain is not getting 400 W. It's getting 350 (give or take), just at a substantially lessened THD.  Generally speaking, though, your long post is quite accurate and will definately help educate the masses.

Mitchell Whitney, Installer/technician
Mainstreet A/V
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

Simplemitch, an amp's gain controls are used to match a headunit's outputs to an amp's inputs.  Simply stating that an amp set at half gain will not produce full power is incorrect (too broad a statement).  That all depends on how strong a signal that amp is recieving.  Yes, it's sometimes possible to turn down the gain to produce less power, but say you have an Eclipse head unit with an 8v preout- setting the gain halfway will most likely send the amp into clipping at or before half volume on the deck regardless of the amp.  Or you have an oldschool deck maybe 5-6 years old with a laughable 1volt preout (just pulling a number out of the air), and you set the amp to half gain, you won't get anywhere close to that 350 watts.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic