icon

How are new cars stolen?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
If someone is determined to steal, they will succeed one way or another, since more thieves are presumably looking for parts rather than the whole vehicle. Once they get the car away either by towing or some other means, unfortunately (or fortunately for them) they are free and clear. However a camera recording the action can lead to further action (such as recovery and an arrest). Also most parts nowadays are etched with the VIN number, however I also heard that the thieves file these numbers off. Thieves and cops are always gonna be there whether we like it or not.    
About bypassing the car's security system or tracking system, it really sounds possible since any computer will respond to the program it is designed to work on, and all computers are just machines. Electronic devices can be reprogrammed or changed even like chriswallace mentions by connecting to the onboard computer or OBDII. Mechanical ones cannot be tricked other than broken by physical force. I certainly would like to invent something to stop car theft.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
True what you said "Once they get the car away either by towing or some other means, unfortunately (or fortunately for them) they are free and clear." I know of a guys car getting stolen and it was found literally around the corner. It seems they couldnt get it started, so they pushed it with another vehicle(the bumper was damaged) around the block to a more secluded area and took the wheels and stereo system. So this proves that NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, will be 100% effective in keeping your car from getting stolen. True you may keep a theif from starting your car, but that doesnt mean they wont steal it. If they really want it THAT bad, they will get it, no matter what. I'm wondering now if the best security measure would be a closed and locked garage!
Agdodge 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

My neighbor’s Toyota truck was stolen about a month ago; and lucky for her, it was found a week later.

The detective working the case told her that some car theft gangs have infiltrated dealerships and if they see a car they want in the service bay they get a key made and then just wait for it to be taken home. Then they just go get it.

This is probably what happened to her as she had just taken her truck to the dealership for some work and a week later, the truck was stolen.

When she got the truck back, no broken glass, no forced entry…. Deduction… the thief had the key.

AGDodge
Team RF 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
Whoa!
derek123 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

Passlock.... the r-code is sent when the key barrel is turned. the vehicle has no way of knowing if a key was used...

Big Timers are in the dealerships / for Small Timers, a tow truck must be the way to go.

Personally, I would use a big rock and conk people on the head in parkades as they come back to their vehicles. I think stealing cars would be much easier with the keys ( and Alarm remotes).  

Good thing I've read enough spiderman comics to know that crime doesn't pay.

Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
Someone has my name almost.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Will that be possible if you have
a) immobilizer and
b) re-program the remote-keys to remote-brain each time you get out of your dealership?
ps. I always service my car 240 miles away from home so I can sleep in peace I guess. I only service it when I visit friends that are 200 miles away, and the dealership is 40 miles from their house. On top of that I have a camera pointing at my car and surrounding areas (adjustable). Should my car be stolen, I have the action digitally recorded and a page sent to my cellphone.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
You drive 3 and a half hours to get your car serviced??? What do you do when something breaks and you cant drive it very far? Personally, I dont like bringing my car in for service anywhere unless I wait at the shop till its done. If its a major repair and I have to leave it a few days (like when I had my transmission rebuilt) I don't give my present address. I use my old address, any mail which goes to that address is forwarded to my P.O.Box. After I got my car back, I wiped out the remote codes, and reprogrammed them one at a time, that way, I know no one has a transmitter programmed to disarm my alarm. I have shaved locks, so with no transmitter, you aint gettin in my car, bottom line.(unless of course you bust a window)
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
I don't drive 3 and a half hours only to get my car serviced. If you read my post again, you will see that I get it serviced WHEN I visit friends. Plus I have personal work (which I do anyway once a week) so why not get it serviced when I am there anyway, right? This won't be a solution to most people, but for me it suits me perfectly without doing any extra work than what I got to do anyways. I maintain my car every 3000 miles even though the manufacturer recommendes 5000 or 7500 depending on if I am in a salt/dust zone. Hopefully the only problem I may have is a flat tire, and that I have had once before on a cold winter night with snow falling all over. Unfortunately the flat tire had to happen while I was passing through a "bad" neighbourhood in Bronx as I was heading towards the Whitestone bridge.
I've also heard they have a brake-pedal lock, which is a physical metal device that won't allow anyone to be able to press the brake pedal without removing this. May give that a try.
When you say you shaved your locks, do you mean nobody can put in a key anymore? That looks like a good idea too. Maybe you could have disconnected the cable inside the door that connects to the actual lock. Just a thought.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
Anyone who tries to break into cars and then hotwire it is not car a thief but an installer with a part-time job.   Keep in mind that thief are opportunist. Professional car thieves on the other hand are those who are never caught because they do things the quick and efficient way. I don’t know where in the world most of you are from, but in Toronto car thief here steal your car keys when you are sleeping in your room. They usually lurk around your house first to see if they can spot your car keys lying around the kitchen counter top or coffee table before they break in to your house to get it. They other way is getting your ownership paper and showing it to the dealership to make a copy of your car key. It’s a bit of work for the thief to get the paper done, but it’s guarantee success on stealing your car. I don’t think there is any device in the market that can prevent your car from being stolen as affective as common sense.    The Immoblizer is extremely effective with what the manufacture have done, but they are useless if the car thief got a hold of your keys. Park the car in the garage if you got one.   And markcars, as you were saying you want to invent something to prevent car thief. I think there is one; it’s called an ELECTRIC CHAIR. And apply this is extremely difficult. However, in many countries it’s a very effective device to prevent crime. Still, I don’t think it is 100% car thief proof, but it will reduce the chance of our car being stolen.
How are new cars stolen? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.How are new cars stolen? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic