icon

How are new cars stolen?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
By "shaved locks" I mean that the key lock cylinders were removed altogether. I removed them and disconnected the lock rod inside the door. The body man welded in a peice of metal and smoothed it over when he did my bodywork and paintjob. So now to door look like they came from the factory without locks. The only way I can lock and unlock my doors is by using my alarm to trigger the power locks. So far, I've only been assed out 1 time. My battery went dead and the power locks didnt work! I had a "lotta fun" reaching from under the car with various extensions on a ratchet to undo the hoodlatch bolts. But once I got my hood open, I jumped it and the alarm unlocked my doors.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
Man this is a good thread. A little over a year ago someone tried to steal my car with a pair of scissors. But since I never leave my car(s) without turning the wheels to the curb and locking the steering wheel, the thief was unable to unlock it and try to start the car. I ended up having to replace the ignition switch anyway. There was something going on here in LA for a bit where Cadillac Escalades were getting stolen from Dealerships. There was someone on the indside who was supplying keys. I wonder what a thier would say if he came outside and his car had been stolen.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   How are new cars stolen? - Page 3 -- posted image.
Pooreclipse 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

That's why it's not a good idea just to rely on just the alarm.  Put a club on the wheel, on the brake, and 5 different kill switches.   Make the bastard work even if he has your key or transmitter.    Hopefully by the time he got to the 4th switch..   your 2nd silent alarm with no siren and motion sensor already paged you, you wake up and you go grab your baseball bat.

NINsane18 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
Nicely put Pooreclipse!
Tim-May!
chaoss 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
Pooreclipse wrote:

Hopefully by the time he got to the 4th switch..   your 2nd silent alarm with no siren and motion sensor already paged you, you wake up and you go grab your baseball bat.

where can i get these things!! i just got a truck and dont feel safe after reading all this stuff....Around my way (jersey) Trucks are being stolen ALL the time...especially if you have rims on it. 

so where can i get a 2nd alarm thats silent and  the motion sensor to Page me!!

I never heard of that. All I have on my car is the Club, Auto Lock (which i hear is easy to get passed by) and an alarm.

Pooreclipse 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  

Ok I exaggerated alittle, in theory you can install 2 alarm systems.   One of the feature on the lynx 2000 is that it will page you but it will not sound the siren, so the thief thinks he's safe but you are being notified.   Or you can just install any alarm without a siren as a 2nd alarm.   Most alarm can be hooked up to a motion sensor...

Try to add a lock to the hood, or a pair.    Dont' like the look?  hey they are functional.  Also incase you need to drive really really fast it serves to hold the hood down :)

but like mentioned already.. all you can do is slow them down, or deter them, and screen out the amateurs thiefs...  But are you sure a pro really wants your car?

If you have enough switches gadgets and switches to even annoy yourself, then you bet the thief will be annoyed and hopefully he'll give up.

vegasek9 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 3:30 AM / IP Logged  

well, I wouldnt recommend this for customers, as stated above by removing the door lock cylinders, but I too have done this to my HOnda civic and has saved it once so far... the thieves tried to take it in front of work. couldnt get in, they destroyed every lock cylinder I had on every door (3dr hatch) and finally, broke a window to get in.  they realized they couldnt get in from unlocking the door from the inside either, but the broken window attracted the attention of a passerby and we chased off.

so my car 1, thieves 0

I think about it all the time.  so I have installed the viper 791 xv w/gps tracking and well I've got to say I'm impressed by its accuracy.  a bit pricey (I was one of the first after it was released) but has a lot of nice features, about 5 seconds after they open the door/ hotwire it or tow/move the car over 150ft, my cell phone rings with an automated message.

its your option to call the police once you find its location How are new cars stolen? - Page 3 -- posted image.

as said earlier I also disconnected the inside door lock switch. there is a central location 'hidden' for locking/unlocking of the doors, but not on the doors itself, there is also a jumper hidden somewhere underneath the car in case of a dead battery, just to unlock the doors when a screwgun battery is attached, or jump box..

as for having the car parked out front. I like the camera idea with the motion sensor, I also have been pondering installing a 'wireless door sensor' from my wireless home security module. I was thinking of installing it on the part of the steering column that is usually removed to break the column, hotwire the car, or maybe a pressure sensor on the seats (the doors WILL NOT OPEN PERIOD, when the alarm is armed, they have to crawl thru the window).. and if set off, the HOME alarm will also go off waking up everyone in the house and alerting armed home security to the location. 

I was also thinking of setting up a garage door sensor on my driveway, some sort of perimeter detector.. some one sneeks up on the car, sets off a beeper/siren/strobelight in the house and gives you time to gather a baseball bat or whatever. that would be set up on a time delay or somethings like that.

this is my first post here, but have been doing this for quite sometime and I found this thread very interesting and informative.. hope you like my input

-charles

JMaxx93 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
the truth is once you install a remote start on your car. the thief has everything he need to steal it.  but i agree its much easier to just steal your keys.
brivalen 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  

im glad everyone likes my thread - i still have some more questions.

lets use my jeep grand cherokee for example - even if i have the VIN and go to the dealer and get a key cut - it will still have to be programed to the car with the car actually being there. You either have to have 2 keys that alreaady work or the chrysler scantool to "match" a key with a car. So how is a JGC stolen without using a towtruck or stealing your keys? I guess im just thinking of the moving Gone In 60 Seconds when they are stealng the ferarri and have a box that they plug into under the hood.

I agree that once you install a remote start you give them the tools to steal it but.... if they have the time to take off the dash panel, find the ground when remote started with, ground it to send your keys signal to the ingition, then hot wire it, they are at about 5 min minimum.  Not to mention that out off all the cars on the road with transpondor keys I but that less than 5% have remote starters and less than 1% of manuals have remote starters.

Guess im just thinking that with all the money auto makers put into cars there would be someway it would be basically unstealable.

CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
I know that when VATS first came on on Corvettes, professional theives figured out a way to bypass it. They carried a corvette engine computer, and a VATS key with the correct resistance to match the computer. They would break into the car, unplug the stock computer, plug in theirs, and slide they matching key into the ignition switch. Then when they proceeded to break the steering column to start it, it would start right up because the computer would read the correct resistance and think that the correct key was in the ignition. But this isnt possible with passlock beacause the key actually has to turn for the computer to read the resistance.
I wonder if maybe this is also possible with transponder keys? I mean, I know the transponder is in the head of the key, so I know it doesn't actually have to turn. Do you think a theif can start a Grand cherokee if he has a matching computer and transponder key and swaps it out, like I described on the corvette?
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic