icon

Head Unit Opinions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
I hope Forbidden doesnt see that or else you are gonna get learned good.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
JoulesWinfield wrote:
If youre considering a Pioneer youve already made the right choice in my book. Eclipse units are not worth the money.  BTW, why is it that people are saying Eclipse is such a great unit anyways? There far behind in the features department.  Just my 2cents.

That's because those of us who appreciate the best available sound quality usually give less than a fig about so-called "features."  Pioneer etc. load up on "features" like animated displays, motorized face-plates and seven-zone auto-EQ at the expense of using quality pre-amps, optical pick ups, D/A converters, etc.  Eclipse, Nakamichi, Denon, etc. put their development money into the electronics and the CD transport mechanisms, not the bells and whistles.  They are indeed 'worth the money" if their features are what you need.

If you want their type of features, then by all means buy Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony.  They make some very fine heads.  But it's comparing apples to oranges when you compare them to audiophile-quality high SQ decks.

Support the12volt.com
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
In your opinion, is it worth sacrifising the ease of use, as well as the extra money spent on higher quality amplifiers to go from a Pioneer to an Eclipse? Is the difference in the Eclipse brand going to make that much of a difference to justify that?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

Is a laser sled that is tuned to resonate at 19hz and not 55 hz not a worthwhile feature. This is a great cause of many people saying "the bass makes my cd player skip". Just one of the things that the meat and potatoes lines do not do that Eclipse does. Mind you they don't really list this feature either (as important as it is).

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  

evanc wrote:
In your opinion, is it worth sacrifising the ease of use, as well as the extra money spent on higher quality amplifiers to go from a Pioneer to an Eclipse? Is the difference in the Eclipse brand going to make that much of a difference to justify that?

For me, yes, definately.  I will never own anything built by Pioneer (except maybe for one of their Elite HDTV projection monitors.)   It is not worth it to everyone, and that's fine.

Support the12volt.com
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  

it's essentially going to boil down to SQ vs. Bells & Whistles

the higher end SQ units ( Eclipse, Nak, etc, etc ) will usually pare down the features to give you a very basic unit with awesome sound quality ( my old Audio Design preamp/power amp combo had a volume control... thats all, the only control on the entire unit was a volume control.... and it sounded great )

whereas the "Bells and Whistles" manufacturers will load the heck out of their units with features, while unfortunately in many cases, sacrificing sound quality.... it's up to the consumer to chose the unit that's right for them.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
In my experiences most of my customers, unfortunatly, care about the bells and wistles as opposed to the sq side of it. Most of my customers dont hear the differences when I switch from one deck to another on the board, so them buying a higher end eclipse for more money and getting less "pimp my ride" features is usually out of the question, which is ok because I dont carry anything that high end anyways. Forrbidden can you explain what you ment by your last post about the laser sled. I am looking for a new CD player for my SPL vehicle and I am interested in what you ment.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

Most cd players as you know are built to hit the price point, looks first, bells and whistles second and then the internal guts. We know that a base model mid-fi line cd player usually has the same laser sled, pickup, tuner, amplifier etc, but differ in the bells and whistle dept. Most of these companies build their equipment to be sold in the area that most people purchase in. Marketing 101. If you build it they will come. Remember how they concentrate on the build though, hit the price point.

Now these manufacturers also realize that over 80% of their head unit business is the guy with a deck and 2 or a deck and 4, thus they do not use acoustic hairdryers that can suck air out of your lungs or make you crap your pants. It's these people that we need to concentrate on a little closer when we are selling to them. Laser sled resonatation is just like a panel resonating. If the panel is resonating behind a speaker, we add mass to it to keep it from resonating and screwing up our sound. No more can of angry bees in our door for example. In the case of a laser sled, most manufacturers have sled that resonate between 45-75 hz. For the Average Joe this is no issue at all. For a serious sub system it is.

Think of the number of times you have heard a customer complain that his bass is skipping the cd player. Lots, especially for us older dudes. This was far more likely way back in the day as compared to now but still happens all the time. Lets say that the laser sled in your cd player has a resonant frequency of 53hz. We all know a sub can hit 53 hz. Most cd players will take this no problem. If the amplitude though is great enough at this freqency, it will amplify that particular frequency in the laser sled and cause a skip. Two waves reinforcing each other is what it comes down to. Similar to two identical subs vs. one.

Where Eclipse differs is they tune their laser sled to 19hz, into the subharmonics of the frequency spectrum. If your sub system is playing at these frequencies, I for one would not want to be in that vehicle, for the amplitude of the frequency being played that would cause the skip would be seriously detrimental to my hearing. The chance of a skip happening at 19hz vs where the mid -fi manufacturers tune there sleds, I'll take an Eclipse. Just one of the reasons behind the scenes.

Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
See, that is something I have never been told before and that alone just changed my mind between buying my Pioneer deck from my company as opposed to going to another shop in town and buying an eclipse. I was gonna use a pioneer deck because I always used to use them and like them. I switched to an Alpine deck about a year ago and have nothing but the utmost distain for the piece of sh*t. It has a retail of about 600 bucks and the thing skips when I AM TRYING TO COMPETE and sounds like sh*t. My pioneer sounded way better but I traded it off as part of the deal for this Alpine. Anyway I need to get a new deck and was looking at the 8600 but I am now thinking I will get an Eclipse being I am doing a complete over haul and am sure I am gonna be in the 150's next spring and this frigin alpine is skipping in the mid to high 140's so it stands no chance. Does any of the Eclipse line have an aux input, this is in my spl competitor but is also what I drive on a daily basis so I have video to use in it as well and would prefer to stay away from an FM Mod.
forbidden 
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

Be carefeul young skywalker, the shwartz is strong in you. This can be viewed as the Jedi mind trick. While it is true, it should not be the sole basis of a decison to purchase a cd player (unless everyone buys from Rob). A simple well explained circumstance is all that some people need to make an educated and informed buying decision. Like I said above "In the case of a laser sled, most manufacturers have a sled that resonates between 45-75 hz. For the Average Joe this is no issue at all. For a serious sub system it is." This is where you fit in and would push me towards one of a couple of cd players.

A really old school Panasonic Rebel Gear, the new MB Quart NRA 450 or an Eclipse. In my opinion the Eclipse will sound better by faaaaaaaaaaaar. However the NRA450 has a true 30 second antiskip buffer. I anticipate that once people catch onto this fact that you will see many more of them in the DB drag lanes. Might be something for you to consider as well. I would not be surprised to see both of these decks coming out of the same build factory either. The guts will be different no doubt and will affect performance but the build is great.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic