icon

Viper 791XV, '04 Ford F-350 w/6.0 diesel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
knucklehead 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
I have searched your forums for the answer to this question and couldn't find it, so help me out. I had a Viper 791XV installed in my '04 Ford F-350 w/6.0 diesel and the installer put in a timer relay that I believe is conected to the blue wire on the satellite relay. I trust my installer, but he is unable to explain to me what the relay is for in a way that I can understand. He seems to be stuck in technical world and that's not helping me. After searching the web and finding nothing I ran across this site and the answers that are given here are far easier to understand. In fact I learned the answers to things I didn't even know I should've been asking. 
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
The reason why he used a relay is this. On most diesel trucks there is a wire that sends a signal when the glow plugs are ready to fire the truck up. On you truck this wire does not exist so he needed to use a module that times the starting sequence to delay the starting of the truck until the engine is ready to fire.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
knucklehead 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2005 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  

I appreciate your response, however the Ford's do have a wait-to-start light. In the older Ford's they used to have a light in the instrument cluster that actually said "wait to start," now they have a light that is affectionately called a pig tail or curly cue light. It resembles two cursive E's connected together. Is this wire unusable? Also I believe my installer was trying to tell me it had something to do with bypassing a zone while the remote start is operating . . . then he lost me. I know that the 6.0 diesels are rediculously computer controlled, so that may have something to do with it.

gtchida 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  

Could be the ground while running when connected to a relay and sensors such as motion or impact/vibration, these sensors will be off during the remote start process otherwise you would have false alarms from the vibration of the truck running.

Gary

knucklehead 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  

Gary- That's possible.

extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
that light in the dash is turned on via computer data bus, it doesn't have a "wire" going to it per say, but the IP module recieves a signal from the computer to turn on the light for x seconds depending on engice temperature. SO in order to get any sort of wait to start delay we as installers have to install a pulse timer module.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  
Ya, like I said, no usable wire for wait to start, so yo must use a pulse timer. Unfortunatly in these new vehicles just because there is a light, and it would make sense there was a wire to use, doesnt mean there IS gonna be a wire to use. I miss the old vehicles where things were simpler and were made of metal not plastic.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
on some units (audiovox and poss. others) have a built in delay that you can program 12, 15, 20 seconds.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
DEI 611t will do the trick nicely on the new 6.0 PSD.
As the others have stated, the signal to the WTS light is on the databus, and is not usable at all to a remote starter.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
knucklehead 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  

Thank You all.

Extreme1- that was a very concise and easy to understand answer. Just what I would hope for from an installer to a layman or customer.

Ravendarat-  Your first response confused me. Your second response actually answered the question of why I was confused. My reasoning was exactly what you explained in your second response, "if there is a light, there must be a wire, so why can't it be used?" So please be gentle on your customers when they ask, and remember one of us might actually be listening to what you have to say. Unfortunately for my installer I'm a nightmare customer. I'm MECP certified, but haven't touched an alarm or a stereo in over ten years, haven't kept-up with current technology, but still think I know a thing or two. In fact I don't even listen to music anymore and the only reminder I have of my install days is a Lanzar Opti 50C that I have in my garage. And your right about the "Good ole' days." When wires either had voltage or they didn't, and the only people who mentioned the term Data Bus were NASA engineers.

If my Ford is any indication of how things are progressing, installers will need to have degrees in computer science and electrical engineering. Then you'll have to wear suits and ties. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic