icon

Box Too Big

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jjclark15 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
My friend got his box built by a pro for his 4 10s and when I wired them up the subs werent hitting like he nor i expected them too, they didnt respond to quick beats but they pound real hard at the low frequencies. Could it be the box too big and if yes what can we do? Cause he already paid a pretty penny for that custom box.
jj
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
MANY questions before anyone can tell you if it's too big or not:  What are the subs?  How large is the enclosure? Are there 4 chambers, 2 chambers, or only one?  Is it sealed or ported or bandpass? If ported, what's the tuning frequency?  And lastly, if he "paid a pretty penny" for the "box," why don't you just go back to the person who built it and ask that they modify it to create the sound you're looking for?
Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
What is the crossover set at? What is he running for midbass?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Did you try calculateing the volume of each chamber?  and what size of box does the company reccomend for your subs?
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
I'd be willing to bet money the problem isn't the box being too big but is rather a poor transition between bass and midbass. Perceived speed of bass has more to do with harmonics in the upper bass region and into the midbass, correct?
My guess is that 4 10's are really hot relative to the midbass, which is probably totally ignored. The amplifier probably uses a steepish crossover. The result - I bet you have some serious drop off after 70hz or so. The frequencies responsible for the perception of speed are probably severely attenuated relative to the primary bass region.
jjclark15 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
the subs are RF P3 DVC4 and the box is sealed and has all subs sharing a chamber and as for dimensions I dont know exactly what volume or any dimensions of the box is. As for midbass he has none still piecing together system has all components Boston Nx series. And mono amp crossover set at Low pass filter at 80hz, Subsonic at 40hz, freq at 80hz approx and 4 ch crossovers set at 125hz higher thanks guys for the quick response.
jj
kfr01 
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  

Alright.  Turn off the subsonic filter.  You don't need one - ESPECIALLY one that high - with a sealed box. 

And yes, you probably do have a severe hole between the midbass and bass.  (80 to 125).  AND it is probably much larger than that.  I bet your 55hz is MUCH hotter than your midbass, even without the 125hz filter. 

Try running the 10" drivers with the low pass xo at 100hz.  Bump the high pass on the components down to 100hz if you can.

What is the slope of the low pass cross on the amplifier?

My guess is that you've highlighted the problem with 4 10" drivers - you have an unbalanced system. 

jjclark15 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
24db/octave i think
jj
kfr01 
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  

Wow ... yes ... I bet I've identified the problem.  You have a severe gap between the bass and midbass regions.  Remember, at the crossover point you are already 3db down.  By 160hz you are 24db down.  Since the subs are probably much hotter than the midbass you probably have major attenuation from 70 to 200hz. 

Also - just to cover all the bases - make sure none of the woofers are out of phase - this could also cause some problems like this.

jjclark15 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
I am not a pro at this at all so what would be the best solution to his problem I am not to familiar with all the slopes and how they decrease sound staging or bass response so a Lamens(sp ?) term would be appreciated thanks Kfr01
jj
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic