icon

2001 Chrysler T&C no sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sjyokel13 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2002 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

Help!  I've just installed an Alpine head unit into my 2001 T&C, purchased and hooked up the wiring harness, and get no sound.  The unit operates perfectly and checks good in another vehicle.  Likewise, the OEM stereo is working fine in the Chrysler.  There are two wires hooked to the OEM unit that don't have a place in the wiring harness.  One is clearly a ground that was anchored to the back of the stereo chassis.  The second is a pink/gray wire terminating in a rectangular white and red connector.  Does this need to go somewhere?  I've tried hooking power to it and it didn't seem to like that!  I don't have the Infinity package, so I don't think I have any external amps.

Thanks for your help!  Shawn.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2002 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  

Make sure that your remote turn-on output from your Alpine is hooked up to the blue wire in the wiring harness going to the car.  I've had more chrysler products than I can count not get sound, even non-infinity systems.  Alpines have a blue power antenna and blue/white remote turn on output.  The pink/gray wire can probably be disregarded. 

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
sjyokel13 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2002 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

Chris,

Thanks for the advice, but no luck...  I've tried hooking the remote turn-on output to the blue wire in the wiring harness, but the Chrysler harness doesn't actually have a wire connected to that blue wire.  Any other ideas? 

Thanks again, Shawn.

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
hmm...you could try testing the speaker outputs in the harness.  If you can use a tone generator on the positive and negative outputs to each speaker, that would be preferable.  If you can't get a tone generator, a 9v battery works, but be extremely careful to hit only the speaker outputs.  If there is no sound from any speakers you probably have an external amp.  Is this harness you're using the one with gray and black 7-pin connectors, and a separate ground wire? I'll look into this a little bit.
sjyokel13 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

All righty now...now it gets truly bizzarre...

If I hook up the factory stereo, leave the key on, unplug the black and gray harness (but leave the ground and the pink/grey wire hooked up to the factory unit) and plug the harnesses into the Alpine, all's good in the world.  I have function and sound.  I can then unplug the pink/grey wire and, as long as I keep the key on, can turn the Alpine on/off and it works great.  However, once I turn off the key, the pink/grey wire has to be hooked up to the factory radio again to get sound.  As I said before, I've tried hooking the remote turn on lead and straight 12V power to this wire and get nothing.  The factory unit must send some kind of signal to something on this wire...any idea what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I can't be the only fool out there who has tried to upgrade his minivan's mediocre system.  For the record, I was ready to throw in the towel and live with the factory unit until I caught a glimpse of what I'm missing!  Now I'm really desperate!

Thanks again,  Shawn.

Aznpanther98 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

well i'm just guessin but i heard some alpine headunit needs an external amp or am i wrong? could it be a defective head unit?

i don't think ur the only one trying to upgrade a minivan, my friend use to have a minivan and he put a decent system into it until someone broke in and stole everything

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm...I haven't heard of this on a Chrysler before, but some late model GMs have a databus wire that goes to the radio, and in order to replace the fact. radio you have to either stick it in the trunk and run the necessary wires back to it, or use a databus interface.  If everything works with the pink/grey wire and ground attached, I would suggest that you extend the ground wire and the pink/grey wire so that you can stick the fact. radio out of the way in the vehicle somewhere, and hook up the Alpine like you did before.

sjyokel13 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the advice.  While it looks a little funny with a factory unit sitting on the floor (for now), all works perfectly.  Any idea who I could get a databus interface from...or how much?

-Shawn.

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2002 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know if it's a databus wire or something else entirely.  I wouldn't bother trying to find one...since you already know which two wires you need, just cut and splice extensions into them, making sure you leave enough wire at the connector to splice into.

zorro33 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2002 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
YOU NOT ARE THE ONLY ONE I MAVE 97 T/COUNTRY WHITH THE SAME PROBLEM OLD RADIO FUNTION SISTEM INFINITY,,WHITH THE NEW JENSEN CM715K,NO SOUND .I TRY THE GRAUND,I GOINT TO TRY THE TO  H ODER CABLES..MY CUESTION THE OLD RADIO NOT HAVE A PART (TO FUNTION INFINITY) I CAN TAKE APPART ,LIKE YOU SEE I AM DESSESPERATE,HELP,HELP
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic