icon

04 Ford F150, remote starters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
925slave 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

I am about to my wits end with these vehicles. I have been doing vehicle electronics installs for over 13 years and recently got into remote starters. I have put a few on now and am working with a set of identical Ford F150 trucks that I consider light duty but they have  4 doors and factory keyless entry. I have installed a Crimestopper RS-850 remote starter on both vehicles and the corresponding bypass module sold to me by my distributer. I should be able to make the units work without the bypass as long as the key is in the ignition barrel, so I am told. That did not work so I installed the bypass module and tried it with that connected, still same problem. The problem is this, I push the start button, the truck turns on until the security LED goes out, about 2-3 seconds, then it starts the truck. About 2 seconds after the truck starts and runs the security LED flashes 1 time and at the same time it flashes the truck shuts off. It does this 3 times before the starter resets. I first thought it was faulty equipment but I put the second unit on the other truck and it does the same thing. I am posting here only because of everything I have already tried from the suggestions of the Crimestopper technical joke line and from the tech at the distributer. I have tried Crimestoppers suggestion of leaving the headlights on for 8 minuites to "drain off excess battery voltage" which did not work, the other tech was a little more helpfull. He suggested adding the tach wire, the keysense wire, checking my ground, and not to use scotch locks or t-tap for my connections. I added the tach wire, added the keysense wire, moved my ground to a factory ground and removed my scotch lock connecters and used butt splices to make my ignition harness connections. I even run a dedicated 8 awg wire straight to the battery for my A+ feed. NOTHING has worked and I am about to give up. Please if anyone has had this problem or might be able to tell me something else to try I do not know what else to do. I have to be overlooking something but I can't figure it out or it is so simple I am making it hard. I have about 10 hours of labor in these now and 6 of that is troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance to anyone with any help,

Joey

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
If the truck will NOT stay running with the Key in the Ignition:
Security LED? Ford Dash Security Light or the Crimestopper LED??
Are you sure it has PATS or Transponder Key?
If so, are you SURE the ByPASS is powering up under Crank & Run?
Which Ignition wires are you powering  up?
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
ziggyb222 
Silver - Posts: 593
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

What bypass are you using? Are you using one with the loop that needs to be wrapped around the ignition barrel????

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  

Can you start the truck with the key....then keep it running with the remote start? (take the key out)

If so, check to see if your unit has accs. and Ign. outs working properly

925slave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

mo12v, I am refering to the factory LED on the dash that blinks 1 time after the truck is running. Also, no I am not sure if the unit is PATS or transponder as I am new to this and am having to rely other peoples info. The bypass module is for a PATS system and is what my distributer sent me when I ordered. How can I find out what it is, it uses a big black key.

ziggyb222, yes I am using a small module that has a red power wire, a black wire that goes to the out when running, and yes it has a loop that goes around the key cylinder. I have tried putting the ring on the back side and on the front side of the factory ring but no luck.

KarTuneMan, I have not tried that as doing so would grind the started when the module engaged. It does not have the anti grind optin install.

Thanks for any help given.

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like you have the Transponder Key.

As Kar TuneMan asked........Your answer sounds like there is NO Tach signal learned??  Or are you using Voltage Sense?
The engine should stay running when you press R/S Button while the engine is running by the Key.  The starter should not Grind.......

You should also be able to START vehicle with Remote Start with Key inserted  in Ignition Switch.  If not:

What wires do you have Powered Up when in Remote Start??

MO
925slave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for trying to help and please be patient with me. The unit I am using is a smaert tachless unit which uses voltage sense but does have a tach input. I connected the tach wire on 1 truck to see if it would help but it did not. So 1 truck has the tach wire and 1 does not with the same problem. I followed the wiring diagram I found here but I have not thought about checking to see if the voltage drops on the ignition  line or the accessory  line, I will try that next. Also, no the vehicle will not stay running even with the key in the ignition.
78musicman 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
This may be stupid answer, but did you reprogam unit to acept the tach from the tachless default.
colorado tap the rockies
mo12v 
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

Vehicle with the TACH wire hooked up......

On Page 10 of your Install Manual:
Did you follow the TACH Finder Method??
Then did you PROGRAM for TACH??

Also is the GRAY Hood PIN wire hooked up or used????

MO
925slave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
I guess I have been at this one so long I am overlooking the simple and obvious solutions due to frustration. No, I did not know that the unit had to look for the tach snse and no I haven't installed the hood switch yet. I am going to wait a day or two, read through the manual again, regroup and try everybodys suggestions. I want to say thank you to everybody who has answered. I will let you know what happens.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic