icon

state laws on distracting lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ssjcloud 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking about buying led's for my 1999 Nissan Altima when I talked to a guy who said that I would get tickets for driving a vehicle with "distracting lights" on. I asked if it mattered if they were inside instead of outside the vehicle. He said no. I live in San Jose,CA and I thought this might be true so I decided to post it. 2 questions...
Is there a place where I can look up my specific state law on "distracting lights" in my car(like window tint)?
or
Is there even any rules at all?
Thx for your time.
ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
It is all fine-line stuff
If the light is externally visible, then you need to comply with the statutes regarding colors etc
How anal is CA? They ticketed the Best Buy Geek Squad for driving a black and white VW Beetle, as there is a law restricting that paint scheme
roadragexxx 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  

Each police district is different... driving with them on is usually illegal... expecially blue - however, there are exceptions

• white, orange and yellow is legal since trucks use yellow/amber running lights - these are not distracting
  • white is not distractive since all cars have headlights
  • interior lights are not illegal as long as they are not visible - meaning bulbs [ ie. having a neon stick inplace of a dome light would be visible]
cowboy21 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  

its different everywhere, just look up ur local transport website and do a search for accessories or neons, or added lighting (something along these lines) they should tell you, if not go to the closest place to u that inspects cars for roadworthies and ask them, then follow as they tell you and go back to them to get a (permission) slip that u carry around with u, so if u do get pulled over u can show them it is legal.

that would have to be the best way to go about it..... legally

modest yet effective... ECLIPSE 12", Venom 8"x2, Focal 5 1/2" comp.,Response amps x2 (580WRMS total @ 4Ohms), Pioneer TFT + DVD, good for 148.7dB
ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
[quote]* white, orange and yellow is legal since trucks use yellow/amber running lights - these are not distracting
* white is not distractive since all cars have headlights[/quote]To be US DOT legal, a lamp needs to be SAE type approved. So, any legal visible lamp will have either DOT or SAE right on the lens. Furthermore, white can only shine front unless you are in reverse, amber cannot shine rear unless directional
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
Be safe.....check with your local law enforcment
blaine b. 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  

ff-mike wrote:
[quote]* white, orange and yellow is legal since trucks use yellow/amber running lights - these are not distracting
* white is not distractive since all cars have headlights
To be US DOT legal, a lamp needs to be SAE type approved. So, any legal visible lamp will have either DOT or SAE right on the lens. Furthermore, white can only shine front unless you are in reverse, amber cannot shine rear unless directional[/QUOTE]

You sure?  I've seen older Oldsmobiles with 50/50 amber/red turnsignals.

On them, both the red and amber would stay lit while the parking lights were on.  When the turn signal was activated the amber portion would flash.

deviousdj 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  

In CA...

You cant install any extra lamp or illuminating device on or in your car(neon, strobes, LED's, those led windshield spray nozzels. You can change the bulbs in any factory installed light(doors, map lights ect.) other than that having colored lighting will get you a V.C. 24003 violation & if you get lippy with the cop he can get you on a V.C. 24012,   The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches. You cant install HID lights to your car unless it was a "factory option" It is illegal in CA, this is also under the 24003 V.C. apparently...

Driving with just your parking lights on EVEN in the daytime will get you one from V.C. 24800

Any flashing light anywhere on your car will get you V.C. 25250, this one is one you cant fight, Even your alarm light flashing while you are diving the car will get you pulled over.

Got Bass? well if it can be heard from 50 feet away it will cost you 106.00 and get you V.C.27007

V.C. 27151, Loud exhaust? over 95 db

Got a indash dvd screen? No video screen forward of the rear of the drivers seat will have anything playing ot it while the car in operation(this does not apply to onscreen NAV) V.C.27602 AND the shop that installed the video screen that does not use the E-brake wire can be held liable for that and if a accident occures the shop may be to blame as well.

If you install driving lights on the front of you car it must be more than 16" from the ground, heres more BULLSH*T you cant drive with them on unless your high beams are on. Driving with your lows on and your driving lights on will get you another Violation of V.C. 24002.

You Cant lower your car/alter suspension(bags) other than factory options. V.C. 24008 Now this states nothing can hang below the bottom of your rim. There is also a head light minimum and maximum measurments that will also get you this ticket. I have had both too high and to low.

Aftermarket bumpers will get you a violation of V.C. 24011.3 as most of them dont have the required Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations of a 2.5 mile impact rating.

For those of us that relocate your rear plate, make sure you got a light on it and its bright enough to see your plate from 50 feet, Were ever it is installed, AND it must be connected to the switch that turns your headlights on and off. V.C. 24601

Side markers, This was interesting. You can have side markers on your fenders with a white or amber light BUT the light assembly must be recessed into the fender as not to be seen from the front or the rear. I think it states that it can only have 2 canel power as well. But again if it is not inset in to your fender you will get V.C. 25102

You havent got a ticket until the officer has to turn the ticket over to write more infractions.

CreativeMadnessFabrications
jamie_christo 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
Cowboy what is the rules for us? (Aussie) im in qld??? ive seen a soarer about with a green underglow but you never know the pigs round here are so anal anyways and these kids on the roads killing themselves makes me an easy target. cheers jamie
MikesMarine 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2006 at 3:22 AM / IP Logged  
blaine b. wrote:

ff-mike wrote:
* white is not distractive since all cars have headlights
To be US DOT legal, a lamp needs to be SAE type approved. So, any legal visible lamp will have either DOT or SAE right on the lens. Furthermore, white can only shine front unless you are in reverse, amber cannot shine rear unless directional

You sure?  I've seen older Oldsmobiles with 50/50 amber/red turnsignals.

On them, both the red and amber would stay lit while the parking lights were on.  When the turn signal was activated the amber portion would flash.

[/QUOTE]

wiring was bad... only amber would FLASH... normally off during normal operation

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic