icon

1997 silverado remote start upgrade

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
franka 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
I bought a 97 chevy truck about 3 years back and I requested the sales person to install remote entry in the vehicle since my trade in was so equipped. I dont know what brand the unit is but the fcc id is J5523578R and it is working fine. I want to upgade to Remote start using one of 2 spare channels on the unit. I have read and copied the "Basic Relay Remote Start" diagram from this sight but I need to know how the start function will shut of when the engine has started as well as how to set up a brake pedal stop function. Can anyone suggest the best way to proceed. I am torn between building a system from scratch using the second or third channel and/or buying a new complete unit.
Plan Ahead
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Get a complete unit. There are timers and safety shutdowns that need to be considered. Besides the cost of an add on unit is minimal. The 561T from DEI is a reliable piece, but not warrantied to a do it yourself job. I would even consider replacing your key less with an entire stand alone system if the range on your current transmitters is not very good. There is a 561t on eBay now for $60 shipped. You can pick up a remote start that includes new remotes and will do your key less for about the same money. Just make sure that there is after sale support from whomever you buy it.
franka 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your promt reply the issues you have mentioned have been on my mind since I became obsessed with this idea. I do not get more than about 50 ft. of range from my R/E system and this is an issue. I need about 100 yrds of range and a clear signal since my workplace is full of computers and RF signals. I have been looking a autiovox systems as a complete replacement unit, they seem reasonably priced and after all this truck has 135,000 miles on it so I dont want to spend a lot of money.
Plan Ahead
franka 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
More info
Current features:
auto unlock/lock using remote
lock when key ignition on
unlock when key ignition off
driving lights on with key (may be factory)
also a * button that makes all park lights flash continuosly
(2) four button remotes:
the picture is similar except for the remotes
thought this would help id the system
1997 silverado remote start upgrade -- posted image.
Plan Ahead
nsgguy 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
viper 791 is the way to go. ive had one on my car for the past several years and have no complaints at all. best place to get one to do it yourself is on amazon.cm(not recommended but not hard)
Thank you all
franka 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
here's one i was looking at:
REMOTE STARTER WITH KEYLESS ENTRY
JC Whitney Price: $49.99
Review this product
    * Start your vehicle and activate its heater, defroster, air conditioner from the comfort of your home or office — up to 500 feet away
    * Auto-cold-start mode automatically starts vehicle every 2 hours anytime and runs engine for 12 or 24 minutes
    * Auto-run mode lets you safely pop into a store with your key while engine continues to run and interior stays comfortable
Security and convenience! This remote starter will ensure their vehicle is warm in the winter, cool in the summer (no sticky seats!) when you leave the house and head to work, run errands, whatever. Never worry again about keys locked inside due to dashing outside the vehicle and then back in the house during bad weather. Other great features include built-in security feature that prevents their vehicle from being driven without a key; dash-mount LED confirms operational mode. Includes 2 programmable remote transmitters to start the engine. Limited lifetime warranty.
NOTE: For vehicles with automatic transmissions and fuel-injected or diesel engines only. Vehicles with original-equipment security system require adapter kit (sold separately). See owner's manual to verify if vehicle has a factory security system and what type it is.
Plan Ahead
franka 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
f150fan 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
A good rule of thumb with remote start units is that you get what you pay for. I would stay away from that piece and stick to a DEI piece. You will be much happier in the long run.
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2006 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
audiovox products are just as good as dei. in fact both are made by nu-tech over seas ( kinda like ford/mercury) both roll down the same assembly lines , each just gets brand specific items ( such as bitwriter for dei ( patented) ) good install instructions, very reliable units, a bit tricky to program for a novice but still warrantied whereas viper will not warranty an item not installed by an authorized agent
good luck and just be sure you double check all your wires with a meter before tying into them
Scott35 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
I second the Audiovox products.
Tacomacrew
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic