alpine type r components keep blowing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
senseijake 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 4:22 AM / IP Logged  

Hello everyone,

I have a 1995 Honda Civic DX Four Door Sedan, recently I have gone through 3 sets of mid-range speakers(Alpine Type-R Components) in under a month. The tweeters are fine and sound great. I have two 10' MTX Thunder 7500 subwoofers inside a box made by Tweeter, I have those hooked up to a JL 500/1 amp and the components are being powered by a JL 300/4. I am using a Alpine iDA-X001 HU. The speakers are mounted in the factory speaker wells, both doors are covered with dynamat as well as my whole trunk to reduce excess vibration to the speakers. At first it was the drivers side mid-range that blew and i just assumed it was from me opening and closing the door too hard. I replaced that one twice and now both passenger and driver side are blown. I have tested them with a volt-meter and they are reading 0 ohms. From what an installer at tweeter said apparently they are supposed to read 4 ohms. 

I am only using front speakers, and they are not bridged. I am using 4 gauge wire for all my power and ground connections. The grounds for my amps are less than 2 feet away and are going through a support beam inside the trunk that I brought down to bare metal and bolted them to. I also added two ground cables to go from the battery to the frame of the vehicle. Today it was snowing all day long and brought my car into our shop and took apart the speakers to see if they got wet, they were bone dry, same with both amps.  

I installed the system myself and played around with the switches and dials on the amps until I thought it sounded right. If it helps at all, here are the settings I have both amps set to:

JL 500/1

Output mode: Amp Filter

Filter/Slope: 12dB

Filter Frequency (Hz): 65

Filter Mode: LP

Infrasonic Filter: Off

Infrasonic Filter Freq.(Hz): 22

"Q" : 0.5

Bass EQ: On

Center Frequency: 30

Boost(dB): +4

Amp LP Filter: 12dB

Filter Freq.(Hz): 55

Input Voltage: Low

Signal Sensing: Off

JL 300/4

Front Filter controls

Freq Range: x1

Filter Slope: 12dB

Filter Freq (Hz): 60

Filter Mode: HP

Front Input Section

Input Voltage: Low

Input Mode:  2ch

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and suggestions on my predicament, from what people tell me (installer at tweeter) this is the best site to get reliable information about all that is car audio.

Thank You,

Jake

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 5:35 AM / IP Logged  
60 Hz. seems a little low for the crossover frequency on the components.  You need to listen to the doors without the sub amp, so you can hear what the components are doing at that low frequency.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  
You're likely clipping your 300/4 pretty severely.
Turn the gain down, way down. Better yet, take your car back to your installer and demand that they set your gain properly. Oh, you're the installer. Please don't take offense, but this is exactly why you should pay an installer to setup your stereo if you honestly don't know what you're doing...
Bass too loud? Turn the gain down on that amplifier too.
Also, if you frequently listen at very high volumes, you need to change your crossover. 60hz at 12db per octave simply isn't doing much to protect your components at extreme volumes. Either increase the slope or increase the filter frequency.
Just to be very clear; your primary problem is not the filter, it is your gain.
Good luck!
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
Good to see you again kfr01.  And as usual, I hope the OP listens to your advice.  alpine type r components keep blowing -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
Ditto Kfr01, but please tell me you are changing that stereo.....................
There is no such thing as free installation!
senseijake 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
So pretty much it comes down to the fact that my gain is too high, and i need to fine tune the filters and crossover settings. Do you have any input as to the ideal settings for my set-up? Im a very tech savvy person and I am trying to figure out the "sweetspot" so to say for my system. I havent had the pleasure of listening to a perfectly tuned stereo system.
Jake B
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

A search through this forum's archives on how to set gain:  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/search.asp?KW=gain&SM=1&SI=TC&FM=2&OB=1&Submit=Start+Search

Here's one in the first page of hits:  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=94529&KW=gain

Do as suggested above, and set your high pass for the components at 100 Hz.  With tweaking you may be able to go down to 80 Hz but you know the history and don't want to repeat it.  Low pass on the sub amp should be set to the same frequency (55 Hz is too low...you are compensating with the mids).  Set boosts to flat and work out your sound without them.  Infrasonic filter may not have to be used;  watch for bottoming out while playing the lowest tones that will be played through your system.

Hey, Karl.  Good to hear from you!

kfr01 wrote:

Just curious, that radio in the BMW looks a lot like a Dual.  ???

alpine type r components keep blowing -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

Hey, Karl.  Good to hear from you!

kfr01 wrote:

Just curious, that radio in the BMW looks a lot like a Dual.  ???

alpine type r components keep blowing -- posted image.

Indeed! Good to hear from you again!
Dual... alpine type r components keep blowing -- posted image. Sure, but at least there is a front input jack for feeding in those super HiFi mp3's!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2007 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the welcome guys. After messing around with the home audio thing (and home audio forums) for a couple years, I'm itching for the challenge of car audio (and the relative sanity of the company here at the12volt).
All appears to be well here at the12volt.com. I really like all the content that has been tacked up. Hopefully I can make it by the forum more often. I took exactly zero vacation/sick days from work in 2007. I'm going to strive for a better work/life balance in 2008. :-)
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
donpisto 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2007 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

kfr01 wrote:
You're likely clipping your 300/4 pretty severely.
Turn the gain down, way down. Better yet, take your car back to your installer and demand that they set your gain properly. Oh, you're the installer. Please don't take offense, but this is exactly why you should pay an installer to setup your stereo if you honestly don't know what you're doing...
Bass too loud? Turn the gain down on that amplifier too.
Also, if you frequently listen at very high volumes, you need to change your crossover. 60hz at 12db per octave simply isn't doing much to protect your components at extreme volumes. Either increase the slope or increase the filter frequency.
Just to be very clear; your primary problem is not the filter, it is your gain.
Good luck!

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better. Also, i'd recommend having bass boost off or at 0.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic