icon

alpine type r components keep blowing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
khanhfat 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
i'd say sset everthing at zero or neutral middle spot... make sure ur type R are real retail rather than chinese copies. I've had an pioneer amp chinese copy, that thing wouldn't hold for 2 months. so after that i always spends a little extra to where they can offer warranty on those high value items.
this dude haven't reply back has he lost the thread?
senseijake 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  

thanks again everyone. I have pretty much given up on the type r components and i just upgraded to focal 165 v2 components. my biggest problem is that im impatient so i really just need to sit down and take the time to set them right.  Hopefully ill get to it this week. Once I have things set ill post the new settings for your approval. thanks for all the advice i really appreciate it.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2007 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
senseijake wrote:

thanks again everyone. I have pretty much given up on the type r components and i just upgraded to focal 165 v2 components. my biggest problem is that im impatient so i really just need to sit down and take the time to set them right. Hopefully ill get to it this week. Once I have things set ill post the new settings for your approval. thanks for all the advice i really appreciate it.

YIKES!
The problem was not your old components.
The problem IS your settings.
You WILL blow your new Focal components if you do not fix your real problem.
Do you like wasting money?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
senseijake 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2007 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  

i know its my settings. i just wanted some better speakers so when i get my settings correct the system will sound that much better. and yes i do enjoy spending money, its a curse. Are those focal components decent? the guy at tweeter said they were but what is your opinion

Jake B
khanhfat 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
Focal is alright
I already went to Tweeter and listen to them. They're just speakers for ppl with money to spend. When i was at tweeter, the 24$ alpine type S sound as good as Polk high end series and focal components as well hahah i was like holy crap. i should get the type S for my car at the first place.
senseijake 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2008 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  

Ok so here are my new settings let me know if they seem ok. The system sounds great but now i need to fixed my ground because my amps are cutting out at higher volumes. im 95% sure its my ground because after looking at them i noticed that they are a bit rustyalpine type r components keep blowing - Page 2 -- posted image. because civics dont rust everywhere right haha. anyway let me know i really value everyones opinion and next time im just going to pay a professional to do all this for me since its definately not worth the headache (literally)

JL 500/1

Filter Mode: LP

Infrasonic Filter: on

Infrasonic Filter Freq.(Hz): 30

"Q" : 0.5

Bass EQ: off

Center Frequency: 45

Boost(dB): +2

Amp LP Filter: 12dB

Filter Freq.(Hz): 75

Input Voltage: Low

Signal Sensing: Off

JL 300/4

Front Filter controls

Freq Range: x1

Filter Slope: 12dB

Filter Freq (Hz): 130

Filter Mode: HP

Front Input Section

Input Voltage: Low

Input Mode:  2ch

Like i said this seems to sound good for the variety of music i listen to, hip-hop is not to bassy, techno sounds crisp with the components but smooth on the bass, country has a good blend, 80's rock seems to lack a little on the bass end of the spectrum which is what i had tune my original set up to before which caused my components to fail. I can deal with the lack of bass on 80's music as long as my components dont blow again.

I know im a newbie when it comes to tuning so if anyone could give me insight as to what the filter slope does along with frequency range i would appreciate it. i seems like if i switch the slope to 24dB  on the 500/1 i lose all my bass from the subs, i am sure this makes sense to you but not to me. Hence the self admittance to wearing the noob patch

Jake B
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2008 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

If your amps are cutting out it may be because your gain is STILL too high.  I think that has been your propblem from the beginning.  Did you set it using the JL Audio specified procedure in the installation manual?

As far as your settings, I recommend changing the sub filter frequency to 100Hz and setting the filter frequency on your components also to 100Hz.  This may help the "lacking midbass" problem you describe.  Also. is your subwoofer enclosure ported or sealed?  If sealed, turn OFF the infrasonic filter.  If ported, you need to set it to the same frequency as your port tuning frequency.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic